Worms!

RainbowMama

Chirping
Dec 29, 2018
Today when I was cleaning out the brooder cage with my four week old chicks I found little white worms squirming under the water container any advice what can I treat this with? Is it in the chickens?

Today when I was cleaning out the brooder cage with my four week old chicks I found little white worms squirming under the water container any advice what can I treat this with? Is it in the chickens?
Did you take pics? Was it maggots or tape worms or maybe something else all together?

Where is your brooder located? In house, barn, etc. Have your chicks had any access to the ground yet? Where did you get them from?

Just looking for clues to determine if they came from the chicks or not. :fl

Its fly maggots. You will just need to have implement fly control measures. They don't hurt the chickens as far as I know. :)
Fly strike can actually be quite harmful and they will eat a chicken from the inside out. :hmm

Identify what you are looking at first before deciding on a treatment plan, please.

A permethrin based spray works well found in the equine section, not safe for use in cats...
TE006407

In a brooder, removing waste and keeping it dry SHOULD be enough.

Did you take pics? Was it maggots or tape worms or maybe something else all together?

Where is your brooder located? In house, barn, etc. Have your chicks had any access to the ground yet? Where did you get them from?

Just looking for clues to determine if they came from the chicks or not. :fl
Brooder is in the house. They havent been out yet. The worms were short fat and white. About the size of a maggot.

Brooder is in the house. They havent been out yet. The worms were short fat and white. About the size of a maggot.
If they also were not hatched or with a broody at any time... then maggots is your most likely suspect, in my experience.

In which case I would not worm with medication. But I would inspect each chick individually and make sure that maggots haven't found their way onto their bumms and you don't see any among their feathers. In theory... they could eat those maggots... though I would probably avoid that for now.

Best wishes getting this resolved. :fl

Back
Top Bottom