Worms?

Jun 11, 2020
I’ve looked through several threads on here and am still uncertain what to do. I found this (pictured) hanging off a frozen poo the other day and something similar again today.
1. Are these worms?
2. What do I do about it? What wormer is best f

I’ve read that oral is best, but I’m not sure I can pull that off. I don’t handle them much and won’t have a helper. If it’s best, I’ll do it but I’d love a medication I can put in their water for simplicity.

Flock info:
12 total in my mixed flock of australorps, Easter Eggers, barred rocks and marans/silkie mix (not small tho).
1 rooster @ 10 months;
10hens @ 10 months;
1 hen, several years old

All the girls are presumably laying—I get 7-10 eggs/day
The flock ranges together on our property all day, in at night. They always have access to clean water and layer pellets from a local feed store. I occasionally give dried worms as treats, and occasional table scraps. The worms and scraps are less than once/week.

Attachments

• 1AA8AED5-9B1C-4D29-897C-1818C3A0D7D0.jpeg
    1AA8AED5-9B1C-4D29-897C-1818C3A0D7D0.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 54
That appears to be large roundworms, the easiest to see type of chicken worm. The others and all worm eggs are too small to see without a microscope during a fecal float. Other types of possible chicken worms are cecal worms, capillary worms, and gapeworms. Tapeworms and eyeworms are much more rare. Valbazen is my choice, since it is 1/2 ml per each chicken given once and again in 10-14 days. Valbazen treats most all chicken worms except tapeworms. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste dosage is given 0.23 ml or 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given orally for 5 straight days. If you give it once and again in 10 days it will kill roundworms but not the others. Knowing what thoes of worms your chickens have is best done by taking in fresh droppings in a ziploc bag to a vet for a fecal float. If you can’t you can just treat for most worms. It is not that hard to treat 12 chickens especially if you remove them from the roost at night when they are asleep. I use a head lamp with the red light on to pick them up without frightening them.

That is a tapeworm strand. You'll need to treat the hen that excreted the strand with Equimax equine paste. Dosage is 0.15ml given orally for a 5 pound hen. Or 0.03ml per pound of weight. Redose in 10 days. Equimax can be found in the equine section at a feed store.
It's not necessary to treat all your birds, only birds that excrete strands or rice-like segments in feces.
View attachment 2537113

That appears to be large roundworms, the easiest to see type of chicken worm. The others and all worm eggs are too small to see without a microscope during a fecal float. Other types of possible chicken worms are cecal worms, capillary worms, and gapeworms. Tapeworms and eyeworms are much more rare. Valbazen is my choice, since it is 1/2 ml per each chicken given once and again in 10-14 days. Valbazen treats most all chicken worms except tapeworms. SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer or horse paste dosage is given 0.23 ml or 1/4 ml per pound of weight, given orally for 5 straight days. If you give it once and again in 10 days it will kill roundworms but not the others. Knowing what thoes of worms your chickens have is best done by taking in fresh droppings in a ziploc bag to a vet for a fecal float. If you can’t you can just treat for most worms. It is not that hard to treat 12 chickens especially if you remove them from the roost at night when they are asleep. I use a head lamp with the red light on to pick them up without frightening them.
Thank you so much! I’ll pick some up in the morning. Couple of follow up Qs...Do we need to not eat their eggs for a period of time after? Also, I have dogs that eat the chicken poop like candy—I suppose I best get them dewormed, too? Last, I use deep litter method but sounds like the eggs live for a long time, so do I need to empty my coop and start again to avoid reinfection? Thanks again for the help!

That is a tapeworm strand. You'll need to treat the hen that excreted the strand with Equimax equine paste. Dosage is 0.15ml given orally for a 5 pound hen. Or 0.03ml per pound of weight. Redose in 10 days. Equimax can be found in the equine section at a feed store.
It's not necessary to treat all your birds, only birds that excrete strands or rice-like segments in feces.
View attachment 2537113
Thanks so much! I haven’t seen any rice like pieces—I’m more familiar with those bc we foster kittens and they often have tapeworm. These look a bit different to me. I think I’ll treat for Roundworms first and see if that solves their issues. Appreciate the input!

Looks like a tapeworm on the left and a round worm on the right to me.
Both are tapeworm strands. I magnified the photo and the one the right isnt round, like a large ROUNDworm. Note the twist and blob at the tail on the far right. Definitely a tapeworm strand. Whichever bird excreted both strands has tapeworms and needs Equimax with praziquantel in it to kill the tapeworms internally.

After looking again at the picture, I would have to agree that @dawg53 may be right about tapeworms. Equimax is the best treatment for those. If you see any droppings in the morning, look for moving rice-like worms in the poop. Those are tapeworm proglottids. Your local vet may agree to do a fecal float to look for any and all types of possible worms.

No tapeworm segments in the morning poops. I inspected carefully, and did see a couple more long worms. They are. It segmented tapeworms, definitely more round. The pic I attached yesterday was found attached to frozen poop and had been dropped onto PDZ so perhaps it’s a flat, dried roundworm or perhaps I have both roundworms and tapeworms.

I’m attaching another pic of poop found on my porch mid-morning after the flock came to peer in the windows. This is a first for me. That pink stuff looks pretty gross.

Attachments

• 45140145-9F67-4E30-B11C-90E191B39D0D.jpeg
    45140145-9F67-4E30-B11C-90E191B39D0D.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21

Back
Top Bottom