worms?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jrabbit, Apr 13, 2009.

1. jrabbit

jrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    We bought 2 (barred rock & black sex link) hens from a large flock which is free-range. She said they had some drainage issues and thinks they should be dewormed. Otherwise, they were not vaccinated. They are 7 months old, and we're going to introduce them to our 2 5month hens in a couple days. We hope not to have much trouble integrating them and keeping them in our yard. (low fence - may have to clip wings ...?)

Right now, the original 2 are freerange in our backyard with daytime access to their roosting house. The newer 2 are in the enclosed run by day and will be in a dog crate at night.

What do I do for worms? Seller didn't "see" them, just thinks it's a good idea.

We also have 7 chicks who aren't big enough to share quarters or free range, but until we got the new hens, the babies were in the run by day.

thanks
    --janis,etc

2. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    Whenever you buy new birds, it's best to keep them quarantined for 30 days before introducing them to your flock. That way you can determine if they have any illnesses before they have a chance to infect your flock.

I would keep the birds quarantined for awhile longer. Keep an eye on them, see if they look healthy and look for worms. You only need to deworm them if you actually see worms.

3. jrabbit

jrabbit Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2009
    I can certainly agree with not doing unnecessary medical interventions, but what am I supposed to look for as far as worms? How would I know?

We're simply not going to be able to quarantine them for 30 days. It's just impractical for several reasons. But I want to be sure that there aren't any worms before I let them live together completely.

thanks
    --janis,etc

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by