worms

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Berynn, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    I have two chicks that are going on three weeks old and 3 that are a week old they are all in the same brood box, I want to know when I could start feeding my chicks worms and other treats?

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    You need to be giving them grit before you give them anything but reg. food. My girls are 2.5 weeks old, and I give them grass clippings, but they have been getting a little grit in their food since they were 3 days old

3. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    I haven't given my almost 4 week old girls grit yet (don't own any), but I have let them out to explore in the yard. Yesterday, I caught my EE with a big fat worm in her beak, and she swallowed it right down with great gusto.

I'm not going to be able to get to the feed store till tomorrow night, so I hope her tummy will be OK without some grit right away!

I need to get on the ball...

4. Southern28Chick

Southern28Chick Flew The Coop

Apr 16, 2007
    Your chick starter feed has a bit of grit in it already. When my chicks were about 3 weeks old I started giving them hard boiled egg yolks, they loved that. My chicks didn't get worms and other bugs until they were outside and exploring at about 4 and a half to 5 weeks old. When they're outside they eat dirt and small rocks as grit. My pullets are about 26 weeks old and my roo is over a year and I don't give them grit at all, they find what they need in the ground. In fact mine don't even eat the grit that I bought for them so I stopped worrying about giving it to them. I reckon you can give them worms now if you want. It's up to you and what you feel comfortable with. If they were outside with a momma hen she would have found them worms and other bugs by now but then they would be eating small rocks for grit too.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Yeah, if they are outside you don't have to worry about grit, they pick it up themselves. My chick's haven't gone outside yet, so I give them grit.

6. smnytx

smnytx Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2007
    Oh - I'm so glad I came back to this thread. That's reassuring news! My DH feels sure there is some grit in the starter feed, and yes, they do occasionally peck at non-digestible items when they're outside.

They all look healthy and happy, so I'm going to trust that they're OK. I will get some grit and just sprinkle some on the area they like to hang out in outside.

Thanks for the good answers (and it wasn't even my question in the first place!)

7. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Anyone worrying about chicks getting grit, just place the chicks in your flower bed. They will get all they need.[​IMG]

8. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    What is grit? I read that it is like sand or tiny pebbles, My chicks are three weeks, and two weeks old. I tried to hand feed them lettuce but they would not eat it. granite grit is in my starter mash. Is that enough grit for them to have before treats?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by