Worms!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by K&H Chicken Farm, Feb 26, 2008.

1. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
  2. living2ride

living2ride Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Illinois
    I feed my chickens some of my compost worms as a treat. At some point, I'd like to try drying the worms to feed them because it's not exactly easy to sort them out of their castings, feed and bedding. It's not something you'd want to do daily or anything. So for now, I just pick out a few here and there and toss them to the chickens. They're certainly not a big part of their diet right now though. However, the worm castings have done wonderous things for my house plants and any seeds that I start, so I'm still happy with vermicomposting in general.

3. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    With a 11 y/o boy who is spending every afternoon looking for worms in the garden I do not have to pick through to get them. [​IMG]

4. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I actually started doing this just a couple days ago. I accidently bought nightcrawlers, they are way to big for my bantam hen, though. So I got some redworms too. I just put them in a plastic bin with air holes at the top. Here is where I found out how to take care of them:
    How to Raise your own Worms
    Earthworm Care and Feeding

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by