1. Yardbirds286

Yardbirds286 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Western Mass
    Lucy, is our 15week old Buff Orpington pullet. She has been the smallest of our girls since the day we got her at a couple days old. About three days ago I noticed she was looking thinner than usual. I watched her for the past couple days, and like I said she is acting normal. Today when I picked her up her breast bone felt very prominent, and she feels lighter. I checked her poo, and it is a little on the softer side, but not runny. She eats, drinks, runs around, and even bosses some of the other girls out of the way for a treat. There where no signs of mites or anything like that. No sneezing, or coughing either. Just really a change in weight. She Lives in a 5x7 coop with 6 other gals, and has a huge enclosed yard to roam.
    What can I do to put weight on her before she starts to lay? She feels so tiny compared to the other Buff's I have. I want to nip a problem in the butt, before it is something more serious.

2. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    If she has not started laying yet..... then maybe you should try ivermectin. I get it from the feed store. It is a horse wormer. I put one BB size amount in each beak. You can not eat the eggs for 14 days afterwards. From what I understand... ivermectin not only gets rid of worms it also gets rid of any parasites inside and out.... such as mites or lice. Twice a year I ivermectin all my chickens and clean out the coop and lay DE and fresh pine shavings ..... occasionally I also poultry dust the birds. I like doing this all at the same time ..... it gets rid of everything. It might be over doing it but it is only twice a year

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by