1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    My 2 year old EE is struggling. She is droopy, not really drinking. Panting a tiny bit. Ate a tiny bit of egg,yogurt,bread today. Her poop is very watery with small bits of regular poop in it. Somewhere between "watery" on the normal part of the poop chart and the similar looking abnormal watery on the poop chart. They are 2 years old and I've never wormed them. The other 2 are doing fine. She is isolated in my bathroom. Should I worm them? Will it cause more harm than good if she isn't feeling well while I do it?

Thanks!

2. Amanda4TCU

Amanda4TCU Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of TX
    I just took my 2 yr old cochin to the vet because she became sad, weak and wasn't eating or drinking much. Vet said she had lots of round worms (and I vaccinated 3 months ago). The vet said the worms, if bad enough, will take over the chicken, even causing crop problems. And the worms come from wild bird droppings and chickens pick them up naturally in the ground.
    She was very, very weak. He didn't think she was going to make it.
    He gave her wormer cream in her mouth and a Baytril injection. She actually poopied the next day, 3 times and each time had the round worms in it..dead!
    She is doing great now - I am so happy.

If I were you....I would take her to the vet so she can get an immediate central dose of wormer. You could try the Wazine 17 (liquid wormer you put in their water) but I don't know how long it would take to kill out the worms, especially if she isn't drinking or eating much. Maybe call your feedstore or something and ask if they have a dose you can give in her mouth or a pill for immediate help?

3. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    Thanks. I can't find any vet around here that will see a chicken. They'll see other exotic birds but not chickens. Annoying. I'll run to the feedstore and see what they have. Maybe the vet will sell me the wormer if I administer it.

4. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Since you have not wormed before I would start with the wazine and the 10 days later follow up with another wormer like safeguard paste pea size on a piece of bread for each chicken. Good luck I hope your hen gets better.

5. Amanda4TCU

Apr 26, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of TX
    Quote:Yes, definitely try to get something soon. And my Peaches got worse before she got better so don't give up.
    And the vet said to worm all your chickens every 30 days or so and to rotate the brand so they won't get immune.
    Yes, it is very difficult to find a chicken vet....and I don't understand the ones who say they see farm animals but not chickens! Last I checked chickens are certainly in the "farm" category!

I found a chicken vet in Fort Worth, Texas...if this helps anyone else....

6. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:Yes, definitely try to get something soon. And my Peaches got worse before she got better so don't give up.
    And the vet said to worm all your chickens every 30 days or so and to rotate the brand so they won't get immune.
    Yes, it is very difficult to find a chicken vet....and I don't understand the ones who say they see farm animals but not chickens! Last I checked chickens are certainly in the "farm" category!

I worm once a year Since you have an egg withdraw of 2 weeks each time you worm every month seems a lot to me. I would worm once every three months it would depend on where you live the climate ect Since Texas is more dry and does not freeze then twice a year would be good. Since it freezes where I am I decided on once a year last year I used safeguard paste. I will use that again this year but next year I will be using a different one.

7. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    New mama here...I've read that food-grade DE, taken with their food, is a wormer. If given regularly, will that do the trick? Or do you also need to worm with pharmaceuticals?

Thanks.

8. Amanda4TCU

Apr 26, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of TX

I worm once a year Since you have an egg withdraw of 2 weeks each time you worm every month seems a lot to me. I would worm once every three months it would depend on where you live the climate ect Since Texas is more dry and does not freeze then twice a year would be good. Since it freezes where I am I decided on once a year last year I used safeguard paste. I will use that again this year but next year I will be using a different one.

I thought every month sounded a bit much too but I couldn't beleive that I worned about 3 months ago and here I am again with a roundworm-ed cochin! (I suspect an underlying problem though...she had a bit of sour crop I had to relieve and then I think while she was weak the worms really did damage). Now she is great.
    I use the Safeguard paste on my horses......I can use it for my chickens, too?! Interesting! I know they sell lots of different tubes of wormer in the horse dept of the feedstore...like Pancur, Safeguard, etc...... These are safe for chickens? How much does each hen get? A pea sized drop you say?

9. Amanda4TCU

Apr 26, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of TX
    Quote:Well I put DE out a lot....in food and in nest boxes, etc. It wasn't enough for my hens. I would say to be safe use the Wazine 17 at least once every quarter or so......

10. schellie69

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    Quote:I worm once a year Since you have an egg withdraw of 2 weeks each time you worm every month seems a lot to me. I would worm once every three months it would depend on where you live the climate ect Since Texas is more dry and does not freeze then twice a year would be good. Since it freezes where I am I decided on once a year last year I used safeguard paste. I will use that again this year but next year I will be using a different one.

I thought every month sounded a bit much too but I couldn't beleive that I worned about 3 months ago and here I am again with a roundworm-ed cochin! (I suspect an underlying problem though...she had a bit of sour crop I had to relieve and then I think while she was weak the worms really did damage). Now she is great.
    I use the Safeguard paste on my horses......I can use it for my chickens, too?! Interesting! I know they sell lots of different tubes of wormer in the horse dept of the feedstore...like Pancur, Safeguard, etc...... These are safe for chickens? How much does each hen get? A pea sized drop you say?

I got the safeguard paste in the tube use a pea size on a piece of bread for each chicken good to go. I would do it every three months. Not every month since there is a 2 week withdrawal on eggs. Plus it gives the chickens time to help build up a residence to worms. Also after each worming about 2-3 days I give a pan of yogurt and dry cat food mixed together to boost protein and help with the good bacteria in their digestive track

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by