1. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Or more technical, ascarids or also known as large roundworms...[​IMG] Wormed my flock this morning and later on this afternoon I went out to check on them and there were a lot of piles of poop, a few with almost nothing but white, slow moving worms!! So, I am keeping a close eye on them, I have NEVER had this type of problem with them in a year happen before and got to wonder if part of this isn't due to all the fricken rain were getting in VA!! I am currently worming them with Wazine 17, as the articles I am reading says that they need the Piperazine to get rid of them then to worm them every 3 months.

Anyone else have a problem like this? What did you do? Should I put them on something a little stronger or will the Wazine 17 be okay? How long should they be on it since they have such an infestation?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    I have always wormed with Wazine 17

The directions on the bottle need to be followed for it to work.
    But the Wazine 17 is only given for ONE day...then repeated in a while down the road(as stated on bottle).

You wil want to take their water away the night before you worm them....(so they will be thirsty in the morning)
    Then mix the solution that morning, and put it out...
    The water should be drank that day then removed and go back to what you usually give them to drink.

Try to make sure that they are not eating the poop with the worms in it that are still alive.....I would also try to clean up the big piles that you see [​IMG]

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. CariLynn

CariLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    State of confusion
    Thanks Laura...I have always wormed for 2 days...that is what I was told and that if they have a worm infestation like this, it is best, as the Wazine is mild and won't hurt them. I did notice today, one whole bowl of water was gone and a good inch and a half was gone out of the other bowl as well, so they were drinking and today it was 91 here!

Tomorrow I am going out to clean the small enclosed yard the coop is in and then rake and clean their big outdoor run that is 100ft in diameter. I did get some of the roundworms and put them in a jar with formaldehyde as a friend of mine who is coming to massage my horse wanted to see them. But yes, things will be cleaned for sure!!

Thank you again!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Besides large roundworms like you are seeing, chickens also get cecal worms, gapeworm, tapeworm, capillary worm, gizzard worm and more. Wazine will not kill these worms. In the next 10-14 days you should reworm with a broad spectrum wormer to kill these worms. These wormers will also kill large roundworms that the wazine missed. I recommend you purchase Valbazen(albendazole)..notice in the following link that albendazole kills all the worms shown...it kills all known worms that chickens get. If your feed store doesnt carry it, you can order it from Jefferslivestock.com or call them. Valbazen is a cattle/sheep wormer. Dosage is given orally 1/2cc for standard size chickens, 1/4cc for smaller chickens. There is a 14 day withdrawal.
    http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by