1. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    I seem to recall having read that worms or mites can cause a hen's comb to turn grayish black. Has anyone seen this phenomena? Generally, the web sites all say that mites/lice/worm infestations cause the comb to go pale, not gray or blackish, but I'm wondering whether they can also cause it to go gray?

Also, could worms cause a hen to peck out her breast feathers?

I felt my hen's feet last night, and I thought they were rather warm. What malady causes a hen to have warm feet?

Thanks for your help,

Clare

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Could you post some pictures? I've always heard the most common reason for a grey/bluish comb is a heart condition.....
    Not sure about her plucking her breast feathers- what do you feed? Is it possible she needs more protien? Also not sure about the warm feet, sorry. Some pics will probably help though. Sorry about your girl [​IMG]

3. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    She has a choice of 16% crumbles or 18% pellets. I put both out, and she chooses. She does seem very hungry. Last night I gave her a hosta leaf, and she loved it. She seems ravenous for greens, which makes me wonder whether she might not have worms?

I think I will scramble her an egg this morning.

Both girls have had comb issues. In the early spring their combs would get bright red patches. Last night her sister had some bright red in her comb right above the beak. I think they might have circulatory problems because of this?

I am afraid they are too fat, so I cut out scratch in the early spring. I do give them a watermelon rind every day to help combat the heat, and they eat it well. Could too much watermelon make them fat? I posted their pictures at one point, but people didn't seem to think they were too fat. But now that they are confined in the run, perhaps they haven't gotten as much exercise as when they were free-ranging all day.

They don't get as many greens since they are now confined in a run. About a month ago the chicken with the greyish/black comb went under the house and hid 5 days while being broody. I wonder whether she might have gotten roost mites or a fungus, but funny it didn't show up until now?

She's a Barred Rock, and I read that sometimes the darker breeds of chickens have their combs go dark, naturally, but I really doubt that is her problem. I'm afraid she ate too much scratch in the winter?

4. ClareScifi

Mar 30, 2011
    Nikki,

I just posted a photo of my chicken before she developed her comb malady. It is in the thread entitled "Do You Think My Chickens are too Fat?" Could you look at it and see whether you think maybe her size has contributed to her comb problem? I'll try to get a current photo of her to post in a minute.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by