Worms???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tin Man, Jul 24, 2011.

1. Tin Man

Tin Man Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    Banner Elk
    I have 30 gold comets and some of them roost on and in the laying boxes (dont know how to make them stop?) but we found some white worms about 1/2 inch long in there poop in the boxes that have been there for a couple of days, but noting in the fresh poop, so dont know what we need to do. if we worm them can we still sale eggs or do we need to wait? Thanks

2. jalexartis

jalexartis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    My guess is you are seeing fly maggots from eggs laid in poop. --jim

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Did you take any pictures? I'd think you'd see them in the fresh poop if they actually have them. If they do have them you'd treat them and no, you wouldn't be able to eat their eggs for two weeks after that.

4. Tin Man

Mar 13, 2009
    Banner Elk
    yeah looked it up your right its fly maggots, Thanks jalexartis

5. Tin Man

Mar 13, 2009
    Banner Elk
    and what do I need to do now?

6. jalexartis

jalexartis Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Fayetteville, NC
    You are welcome. First, remove poop or mix it with your "bedding." I use sand and scoop poop daily from my poop trays or no more than the second day. Next, I think place your roost where you chicks use them versus your nesting boxes. Pictures will help us better advise. I think your chicks and hens are okay. Do you have anyway to keep flies our or reduce the number of flies. I hope this helps. I'm new at this as well. The best. --jim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by