1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worms

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by RescueMama, Sep 20, 2011.

1. RescueMama

RescueMama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Croydon
    Oh, ick, guys!

I knew hens needed to be wormed and they had JUST been done upon purchase.
    We had just gotten some mite powder and I was at Petstock over the weekend and saw some wormer and mentioned to hubby that it should be gotten.

So we wormed them over the weekend, penned up with medicated water, all that jazz.

Today I was in the pen cleaning up and oh EW! Dead worms in the poop EVERYWHERE.
    I was appalled! So many dead roundworms. I could not wash my hands fast enough.

I will be repeating in about 30 days to get the juv worms that missed the boat.

After that, how often should I worm the ladies? Bi annually? More oft?

Thanks all!

RM

2. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    What did you use to worm? I read to do it spring and fall.

3. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    We do not worm unless a fecal test comes back positive or we see worms in feces. If they are showing signs of stress from worms like weight loss etc. we have a fecal sample tested at the vet then worm if needed. Some places they are much more of a problem than others and in Arizona where I live we have not had worms in or flocks for many years.

We don't medicate out birds unless there is a problem....

4. RescueMama

RescueMama Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Croydon
  5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Thanks! I am in Ohio so not sure what I will use. Since I have caught 13 coons alone this summer I am thinking something for roundworms for sure!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your link doesn't want to work for me so I can't find out the ingredients. My personal preference is for albendazole because it gets all types of worms, and kills slowly so they can't get stopped up with dead worms.

Most people who worm regularly (and it sounds like you should) probably do it either once or twice a year. The fall/winter molt is a good time since they aren't laying much anyway and you have to toss the eggs. For now, you should re-worm in 10 to 14 days to kill the eggs that the first worming didn't kill.

http://healthybirds.umd.edu/Disease/Deworming Birds.pdf

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=5770173#p5770173

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by