1. WatchYourStep

WatchYourStep Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    One of our adult chickens (3-4 yrs) had a bloody poop, it wasn't to bloody. Now she has thin black worms coming on her but, she pooped them out after I finished getting the dried, somewhat bloody poop off of her. She has been eating, but not too much, she seems to be normal. It's around the time my chickens start 'roosting, so I can't say for sure if she's listless.

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I will not be able to guide you how to treat this, however, I will say that from what I understand, once you see the worms outside of the body, you have a serious infestation that needs to be treated.

You should be able to do a search on here about treating for worms to get some ideas.

3. WatchYourStep

Mar 20, 2012
    Well, now the worms look more like intentines, but we're not sure.

4. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Intestines would not be skinny and black. I would start her on some Safeguard Wormer paste or liquid ASAP.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  5. WatchYourStep

Mar 20, 2012
    Ok, she seems a little light...... Isn't that a sign of worms?

6. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    Yes, weight loss is one of the symptoms. Has she been showing any other symptoms? Loss of egg production, lethargy, diarrhea?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  7. WatchYourStep

Mar 20, 2012
    She doesn't seem to show any other signs. We're going to worm our whole flock.

8. WatchYourStep

Mar 20, 2012
    The whole flock is doing fine now that we've wormed them. Thank you for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by