worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mamav, Feb 19, 2013.

1. mamav

mamav New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    I have 8 birds of 4 different breeds. Of those 8 only my 2 buffs seem to be affected. They have a ring of bare skin around their necks and I don't know if their poo is watery or not. It's loose but not any worse than I've ever seen. I'm worried. And if it's worms we don't have a vet anywhere around that takes care of chickens. SO what do I do if it is worms. How can I treat them?

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

De-worm with Safeguard/Panacur, liquid or paste (fenbendazole) or Valbazen (albendazole) by mouth and repeat in ten days. You should also dust for mites/lice with poultry dust.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
  3. mamav

mamav New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Thank you so much! I already use DE in their coop and run, Today I put a nesting box aside and put DE in it for them to give themselves dust baths. I will buy the RX you mentioned. Thank you.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I tried DE and it didn't work for me, so now I use poultry dust for the birds and Sevin spray for the coops.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mamav

mamav New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok...I've seen that at our local Tractor Supply store. Again, thank you , very helpful. I also read about 2 natural methods. 12 cloves of garlic overnight in 1 cup of water. Add to 8 gallon waterer. Or 2% apple cider vinegar to their water.

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    As much as I like the idea of "all natural", I wouldn't want to risk the life of a bird doing it.

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    If your birds have worms, your natural methods ie...12 cloves of garlic and ACV will fail you and your birds. I recommend that you follow Casportpony's advice.

8. mamav

mamav New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok thanks again. I'll pick it up today.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by