1. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Im scared my hen, Peeks, has worms. She is really light, and is very small. She is 2 1/2 years old, and I have never wormed my girls before. ( I have 5 Americana hens. ) What should I use to de-worm the entire flock? Thanks for any responses! [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that there is a good possibility that your chickens have worms. Being lightweight is one of the more common signs of an infestation. As for treatment, there are several options. Many people worm first with Wazine (Piperazine) which only kills roundworms. Then, they worm with a broad-spectrum dewormer such as Valbazen (Albendazole) or Safeguard (for goats). The reason for starting with a wormer that only kills roundworms is that, if the bird has a large infestation, killing all the worms at once would likely create an intestinal blockage or other problems.

Others just do the broad-spectrum dewormer. I myself use a dewormer called the Worminator. This product is sold online by Hake's Twin City Poultry Supplies (go to www.twincitypoultrysupplies.com). It it administered orally, one drop for bantams, two drops for large fowl, and kills all worms.

Hope this helps! For more information and the exact dosages, I'd look up dewormers in the search bar of this website. I'm sure there are many more people out there that will help.[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Valbazen gets all chicken worms and Safegard liquid goat wormer gets all but tapeworm. Give 1/2 ml of either by mouth, then repeat in 10 days. Toss the eggs for 14 days until after second dose.

4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Thank You both soo much! I am going to get some de-worming products today!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by