1. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) - 15 week old Cuckoo Marans pullet
    2) What is the behavior, exactly - slightly lethargic/hunched up
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - Approx. 4 days
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - No
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma - No
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation - Nothing that I know of
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all - Currently on non-medicated flock raiser; garden scraps as available.
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. - Spied some droppings that looked to have blood in them. Currently treating everyone for Coccidiosis using Corid (4th day of treatment - I know she's drinking the water because I've herded her over to it and she stands there and drinks)
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Currently treating everyone for Coccidiosis using Corid (4th day of treatment)
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Would prefer to treat myself
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use - currently housed with 11 other pullets the same age / different breeds (have been housed away from main flock since 1 day olds; pine shavings; deep litter method; none of these girls have had their feet on the ground as yet).

Is it possible she could have worms - we've had a pretty "juicy" year weather wise? Ok to treat one so young with Valbazen? Or, should I be on the safe side and treat with Safe Guard first? Treat for worms at all? If I do treat, should I treat them all even though the others aren't showing any symptoms?

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, my first thought would have been Coccidiosis, but since you're treating her with corid, and (I assume) she's not improving, that isn't as likely. What does her crop feel like? Is it hard, soft, etc? The fact that she is hunching up could indicate a crop problem, though it could just indicate that she doesn't feel well.

Either Valbazen or Safeguard are good dewormers to use. I'd be a little hesitant to use them on a young chicken, as dewormers are often hard on a chicken's system. However, I think that that is the best course of action to take at this point, since Corid isn't treating the problem.

Please keep us updated, and good luck!

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Actually, valbazen is safer than safeguard. Valbazen slowly kills worms over a period of several days preventing a massive worm kill-off causing possible toxic dead worm overload.
    I recommend using sulfadimethoxine soluable powder after the corid treatment. Dosage is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days.
    If the sulfadimethoxine doesnt work, go w/ valbazen.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can use either wormer. Valbazen gets tapeworm plus all other worms, where Safegard Liquid Goat Wormer just doesn't get tapeworm. If you can get a weight on your chicken, it is best, (or estimate.) Safegard is 20 mg per each 2.2 lb or 1Kg and Valbazen is also 20 mg. per 2.2 lb or 1 Kg. For a 4 lb bird Safegard would be .4 ml and Valbazen would be .35 ml.

Sorry Dawg, I was calculating while you were posting. Never mind. Just a question, Dawg, how come you would use the sulfadimethoxine after the Corid--as a sulfa drug or as another cocci treatment?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I suspect there's a corid resistant strain of cocci. There shouldve been improvement by the 4th day with corid use. Sulfadimethoxine should do the trick though, IF the sick bird will drink the mixture.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    One could also try using the Corid as a drench... Very easy with the liquid and I'm pretty sure the dose is 10-20mg/kg, which would be about 0.1ml to 0.2ml per 2.2 pounds, but please, double check my math!

-Kathy

7. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    Thanks, all! She looked to be a bit more perky this morning. Dawg, I had to order the Sulfadimethoxine online (none of my local farm stores carried it). I'm thinking that I'll continue them on the Corid for a full 7 days hoping that she continues to show improvement (and while I'm waiting for the Sulfadimethoxine to come in). Any reason anyone can think of not to treat for the extra 2 days?. Thanks!

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sounds like a good plan to me, the extra 2 days wont hurt.

9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    No reason I can think of... And if they were mine and I were using the powder, I would use the dose that's recommended for "severe" outbreaks, which is 1 whole teaspoon and that should medicate the water to the .024% level.

With my most recent digging for info, these are the preliminary numbers I came up with, but still need to verify them:

For severe outbreaks
    .024% medicated water - liquid dose is 2 teaspoons
    .024% medicated water - powder dose is 1 teaspoon

For moderate outbreaks
    .012% medicated water - liquid dose is 1 teaspoon
    .012% medicated water - powder dose is 1/2 teaspoon

Source:http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/archives/fdaDrugInfo.cfm?archiveid=42054

[​IMG]

"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by