1. rachpatterson

rachpatterson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 28, 2014
    Charleston, SC
    I have a hen that was acting funny Wednesday, ranging with the others but would stand and sleep. She was eating/drinking so I've been keeping an eye on her. Tonight at bedtime she was too weak to fly 1 foot up to the lowest roost bar. I watched her try to jump and fly and only make it a couple inches. She tried four times. I picked her up to bring her inside to examine her. I could feel her breastbone and she felt considerably lighter. Her crop felt empty. She is 5 months old and has not laid an egg yet. Her 2 sisters are laying. I put her in the tub and checked her out. No lice. I gave her some fodder yogurt fermented feed and a boiled egg. She ate and drank water. She pooped in the tub so I moved her into a box with a towel and food and water. I put on gloves and looked at the tub poop. Looked normal, formed brown with white topping. I squished it around and saw nothing unusual. Cleaned the tub and decided to check her vent for egg bound. Gross! I got an inch in and felt nothing. I gagged. What next? She ate and drank a little more. Started acting normal. She pooped again this time on the towel. I checked it again with a flashlight and could see little worms squirming. Gross! Ran to TSC (thank god it's 10 min away) and got ivermectin and safeguard. Also some vitamin/electrolyte powder. [​IMG]
    Here are the worms. I have 5 hens total, we've had them for 1 month but bought them from 2 different chicken owners. I will treat everyone. My lab also eats their poop, does he need to be treated as well? He and my schnauzer are on trifexis.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  3. rachpatterson

Oct 28, 2014
    Charleston, SC
    No they were tiny like thread less than a centimeter long and flat

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Google cecal worms.

-Kathy

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Here are some cecal worms:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Treatment for cecal worms is Safeguard 0.23ml per pound once and repeat in ten days. If you think they might have been capillary worms, treatment for capillary worms is Safeguard 0.23ml for five consecutive days. If the worms were in the cecal poop, they probably were cecal worms

Here are tape segments:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  7. rachpatterson

Oct 28, 2014
    Charleston, SC
    Yeah they're cecal worms. I gave her a pea size of the paste on a bite of bread last night. She perked up before I went to bed so I put her outside with the others. This morning she was eating and acting normal. I will treat everyone else once I get home from work

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Depending on what she weighs, the "pea size" amount *might* not be enough for cecal worms.

From left to right:
    Small = 10mg ( .1cc)
    Medium = 25mg (.25cc)
    Large = 50mg ( .5cc)

The pea size on the right is what my vets have me use, and it's one of those per 2.2 pounds.
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Whatever amount you decide to go with, be sure to follow up in ten days.

-Kathy

10. rachpatterson

Oct 28, 2014
    Charleston, SC
    Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by