1. Nichole Murphy

Nichole Murphy Out Of The Brooder

Nov 9, 2014
    So I dewormed my flock back in September for weeks and this morning my poor Sparta pooped this out and is in bad shape trying to poop some more. I have her in quarintine and back on dewormer but she is also molting and I am at a loss! [​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    That's a nice blob of large roundworms you've got there. What dewormer are you using?

3. Nichole Murphy

Nov 9, 2014
    I use rooster booster multi worm triple action @dawg53

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    It looks like the Rooster Booster didnt work for Sparta. This is the problem with mixing Rooster Booster wormer in feed, you dont know if your birds actually ate it or if they ate enough of it to be effective. This is why I prefer using liquid wormers such as valbazen or safeguard liquid wormers. I dose each chicken orally using one or the other wormer. That way you KNOW they properly and effectively wormed.

5. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    X2. I can attest to the use of Rooster Booster Multi-wormer, and direct dosing with Benzamidazole anthelmintics you mentioned are the only sure way to remove intestinal worms.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  6. Nichole Murphy

Nov 9, 2014
    Thanks! I could not find either to actually use! I don't think it would be a struggle for my birds with me to do the oral way (except my turkeys) but it just seems to be Sparta still bothered but I will look into oral alternatives!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There will be roundworm eggs in and on your soil. Your other birds more than likely have picked up and eaten worm eggs. It would be best if you wormed all your birds.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2014
  8. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Anyone can do it, especially if they have someone to hold the bird for them.

Pictures from:http://www.hopkinslivestock.com/oral_dosing_article.htm
    The hole at the back of the tongue is in the entrance to the trachea - Nothing should ever go in there!
    [​IMG]

Correct placement of syringe:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  9. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by