1. Sunset Ranch

Sunset Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Glennville, CA
    Found something odd in an egg today when I cracked it open. It was a white stringy thing on the yolk. Wish I could post a pic but for some reason the little doodads for pics and fonts aren't showing up. :(

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Pics would help to cofirm this, but it sounds like the chalazae - a perfectly normal part of the structure of an egg.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Sunset Ranch

Jan 20, 2015
    Glennville, CA
    Thanks OG Mare, for the diagram and consolation. When Ithe doodads are back I'll post a pic, but meanwhile I feel a lot better. :)

4. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Did you eat the egg?

5. Sunset Ranch

Jan 20, 2015
    Glennville, CA
    Nope. I was too grossed out by the thought that it might be a worm - didn't even cook it up for the dogs. I've been on the fence about worming the flock, keeping a close eye out for signs and/or symptoms. After seeing this stringy thing I'm just gonna do it.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Here's what a worm looks like in an egg, a large roundworm: Your dogs get worms and you give them a monthly wormer, correct? Chickens get worms more frequently simply because they are always eating grass and pecking dirt, guess what they pick up....get your birds on a regular worming schedule like your dogs. Use valbazen or safeguard for your birds.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Sunset Ranch

Jan 20, 2015
    Glennville, CA
    Thanks dawg. My suspicions were correct... today I saw small white specks in some poop, one of them was moving. I think they might have tapeworms. I've got the valbazen but I need syringes and help with administering the meds, so it will be a couple more days before I can start. Hopefully it won't hurt to wait.

I've read different dosage directions, so which is best, A or B?
    Withhold food for 24 hours (not water) prior to treatment
    A) 1ml for standards, 1/2 ml for bantams, repeated in 10 days.
    B) 1 ml for standards, 1/2 for bantams, repeated in 7 days, and again in 7 more days.
    4 hours after each treatment mix buttermilk with a small amount layer feed, gradually increasing food amounts over the course of the day.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Follow the directions in post #7, this link:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/806524/prevention-cures-for-tapeworm-or-any-worms-really

9. Sunset Ranch

Jan 20, 2015
    Glennville, CA
    Thanks again, dawg. Just a couple more questions...

Routine worming dosage is for annual or semi-annual?

I've got almost 3 dozen eggs, is it ok to use them?

Do you get tired of repeating yourself? :)

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Your soil is contaminated with tapeworm eggs. Insects eat the eggs and are the host for infective tapeworm eggs. Chickens eat insects completing the worms lifecycle. You'll have to worm frequently, every 3-4 months to keep them in check.
    The eggs are okay until you start dosing with the wormer.
    No, I dont get tired of repeating myself. It's a privilege to help others as best as I can, so that others can pass it on to other folks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by