Wormy worms and dogs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carternm31, Oct 21, 2016.

1. carternm31

carternm31 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Couple of questions.

I quarantined and de-wormed a hen (and her sister) recently because I was at my wits end with what was wrong with her. By some kind of weird coincidence two days after I wormed her a completely different chicken pooped out a roundworm in my garage. So I confined and wormed the entire flock today (with Wazine 17 if anyone is interested) then this afternoon the sister of the sick hen has been pooping out dead roundworms, I have found 4 so far (she is a small polish) I didn't even know she had worms! no symptoms. But glad I did worm her. Her sick sister hasn't pooped at all today from what I can tell and is slowly wasting away (I am waiting on the vet to get back to me!)

So my question is this.... If I wormed her on Monday and the dead worms came out today, thats 5 days before the worms were expelled. So if my other hens also have worms, should I keep them confined for a further 5 days? The only reason I have them confined is because they usually free range but my dogs eat the chicken poop. And I really don't like the thought of them eating all these dead worms! (I de-wormed my dogs today aswell) but I am thinking if the poop worms are already dead, would they actually have any effect on my dogs?

Don't get me wrong I really don't like the thought of the dogs gobbling up dead worms, but I also hate seeing the flock giving me the guilt trip for being shut in their run.

2. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Dogs get dog worms, chickens get chicken worms. They will not infect each other.

3. carternm31

carternm31 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2015
    Well that answers that then! Lol thanks

4. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    you're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by