worried - 15 week old sussex - some more pics...

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by lisbogeyfarm, Aug 12, 2011.

1. lisbogeyfarm

lisbogeyfarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Hi

Just got these birds a day or two ago and just sorta took the breeders word for it that they were girls...although there was doubt over one so he threw it in free.

Now I'm researching it a little more I'm worried I have more than one rooster....

I know this is a bad picture as they're not used to me yet but can anyone advise please - all the young birds are about 15 weeks according to breader. Top right is an older rooster I wanted to breed a few hens. None of the younger birds showing any signs of crowing and are all making clucking noises that I would associate with hens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    From what I see, you only have one rooster. Sussex females normally have larger combs and wattles then other breeds. The one in the middle could be an early maturing hen. The males should have saddle feathers by this age right? Look for skinny, pointy saddle feathers. Good luck! Sussex is my favorite breed!

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I concur...one roo....

4. lisbogeyfarm

lisbogeyfarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    is that just the big roo on the top right then?

Woo hoo I'd be so so pleased if I've only one roo as I'm attached already and don't want to have to try and get rid of one which might prove very difficult.

Thank-you all so much! [​IMG]

5. lisbogeyfarm

lisbogeyfarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    Can any experienced people tell me if they can see any roo sadle feathers on these birds please? Thanks!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    Look pretty girly, and like they'll lay soon too!

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think you got all girls, they're just getting close to laying. I think I read Sussex get larger/earlier wattles. I don't see saddle feathers.

8. nickie

nickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    I have a speckled Sussex pullet that developed her comb and wattles with the boys, but once it got to a point it quit getting larger, all research I have done says that they have larger than average combs and wattles on the females and that they are a bit tricky to sex. They look Luke girls to me.

9. lisbogeyfarm

lisbogeyfarm New Egg

Aug 12, 2011
    thanks everyone for taking the time to reply - looking over other threads I was really expecting the answer to be roo but if they're hens that's great! Really looking forward to the first egg now!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by