Worried about 3 week old runt -- Update

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by eastvanchicken, May 2, 2009.

1. eastvanchicken

eastvanchicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    Ok. Maybe I'm still just worrying but the runt of four 3 1/2 week old ISA browns is less than 1/2 the size of the others and since yesterday she seems to be acting a little funny. It's hard to tell but she seems to be sleepy more, eating less (or at least being seen to eat less) and chirping more. When I take them all out to be handled she seems fine and wil eat oatmeal vigourously from my hand but something seems amiss. It is cooler in the studio where the brooder is but the heat lamp is on in one corner.

Any ideas of what this might be?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  2. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'm afraid you probably didn't get replies because it's not possible to be sure. Some just don't do well, or just die for no apparent reason. The smaller size probably indicates it has other problems as well. Sorry. It might make it, or not; my runt last year did grow up and do fine, just stayed a little smaller than the rest.

3. firedove

firedove Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Fitzwilliam NH
    make sure it is drinking plenty. If other chicks are keeping it away from food and/or water that could be a big part of the problem. Separate it out every few hours and offer it chick starter and water on it's own to make sure it is getting some without competition. Sometimes the little ones need extra help.

4. eastvanchicken

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the replies. The other chicks do not at all seem to be preventing her from eating but she does seem very hungry for the oatmeal offered as a treat. Could she just be off her food. What other than the chick starter can I feed her?

5. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    Scrambled eggs are good protein for them. I would also give it some poly-vi-sol (without iron) drops for a couple of days. 2-3 drops 2X a day. It may just need a vitamin boost. It worked for me.

Last edited: May 2, 2009
  6. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    She might just be slower/smaller for awhile. I had two reddish-buff chicks that I got as part of an assortment. Could not figure out what they were. It was pretty clear that one was a cochin. The other one? I was afraid they had sent me one bantam. When they were six weeks, they still did not resemble one another & the size difference was pronounced. I went on vacation for 10 days, got home & they were TWINS! Yowzah! Two nearly identical buff cochins.
    That is my hopeful story for all who fear that their runt might not thrive.

7. chickenguysmom

chickenguysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Awwww! Give that little feller a hug from us in Alabama! Let him know we are rooting for him.[​IMG]

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Boiled egg yolk or scrambled eggs (some prefer one some the other) extra attention & vitamins. My runt is now the biggest of the roosters.

9. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Don't worry about it. There's always a runt of the litter.

10. eastvanchicken

Mar 17, 2009
    Vancouver
    Thanks for the help and apologies for the tardy reply as I have been out with the flu (no not that one) so dragging my butt in to care for the chicks was a priority.

Could it be simple as temperature (even at this age)? I warmed up the room and she picked up.

I also have been hand feeding but she is not very interested in egg and really is only interested (very, very) in oatmeal. I have a feeling she is eating OK and just begging for treats but will keep an eye on her.

Again, thanks for all the help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by