Worried about air cells in shipped eggs. (Added pics)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tricorn, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Tricorn

Tricorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Please excuse the terrible MS Paint job.

[​IMG]

The top egg is what my shipped eggs looked like at 6 days along. I have one of my own eggs in the bator as a control, and at day 6 the air cell looked like the bottom egg.

How worried should I be about hatching problems? Also, do my aircells seem larger then they should be? Humidity is at 40%.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    Quote:WOW like your pics, wish I could do that.
    I have had my shipped eggs look like that and some have hatched, I would vote for just keeping them in their and [​IMG]
    Ayda
    Thinking air cells look ok,but am fairly new at this also.

3. Tricorn

Tricorn Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    Ok, snuck them out of the incubator again... (Bad me!)

[​IMG]

Top pic is un-manhandled egg at 11 days,
    The bottom pic is of a shipped egg. It's like the bottom (Atached to side of egg) of the air cell is 'solid' but at the top it's... Wiggly.

@Wyogirl: Glad to hear there's a chance! Out of 8 eggs I recieved 1 was infertile, and 3 were scrambled by the post. All of the aircells were damaged. [​IMG]

4. MSH

MSH Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    Cleveland , Georgia
    ok so I have eggs that look like the bottom pic not the ms paint the real pic is this bad ok I was wondering if the eggs like that would be ok

5. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Mine also look like the last pics, the babies are growing and nice veining I will try to get a photo later. I'm no good a pic's like that.

6. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    If they make it full term, they still have a chance of hatching. I would still try. Just try not to candle them too much.

7. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    I had several in my last hatch exactly like yours. I was worried too, but they hatched fine. They were als shipped eggs.

8. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I too had several like that in my last hatch. I had resolved myself that they probably wouldn't make it...but they all did!!! Good luck!

9. Komaki

Komaki Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    I have candled eggs from broody hens and the are ALL exactly like the top egg. Hens don't lay little end up. When I store eggs, the air sack is the same as the bottom egg. Due to how I store them (little end up). I can't tell any difference in the hatch rate.

10. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Your air cells look better than some I've had in shipped eggs that have gone on to hatch just fine [​IMG]
    Not a guarantee that these ones will hatch of course, but if they don't, I'd say it won't necessarily be due to the wonky air cells...

Personally, what I find with shipped eggs is a bigger percentage of blood rings and eggs that just never develop in the first place. The ones that make it as far as lockdown fully developed tend to have as good a hatch rate as my own eggs. That bottom pic looks fairly normal to me. Is that a day 6/7 photo? If so, I think they're looking good so far...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by