worried about air sacs

ebonykawai

Songster
12 Years
Dec 27, 2007
Wheatfield, NY near NiagFalls
What do they generally look like at around 16-17 days? I see a definite air space that looks the right size according to the air sac diagram. But I'm not sure it's a 'bubble.' Is it supposed to be an intact bubble, and if so, what happens if it's not? Can a chick still hatch if there's air in the egg but it's not an intact bubble? Or am I seeing the right thing but interpreting it wrong? Help, I'm really worried.
sad.png

Last edited:
well i wish i could help more but since i am new to this i will just give you my advice. i think that i read somewhere that when the babies are ready to hatch they poke theri beaks through thte air sack. then they are suppose to hatch within 24 hours later. and you said that you were omn day 17 or 18. i really wouldnt worry though. im sure they are jsut fine.

Yes, I'm just concerned that I'm not seeing an actual air bubble, but I have no idea. This is my first hatching experience. As long as there's air in the egg, they can brethe it, right? And I plan to hatch them in a carton with the air at the top. I guess as long as they are in the proper position, they should be OK? Does anyone know anything more about air sacs?? Please?

If I can remember this correctly. I think the chick turns its body so that the head is at the fat end and then pops its head in the air sack to breath and pip.

Last edited:
Yes!! That's what I thought, too! So what if the air sac is broken or something, and there's just air there? Is that OK? I mean, it's still air, and if the egg is in a carton, it won't move, so the air will still be there. Am I making any sense?? That's exactly what I was talking about, Stevie, thanks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom