Worried about babie's navel

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Duck Keeper, Sep 5, 2009.

1. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    It appears to have around a centimeter or less of the umbilical cord shredded/attached, and it was dribbling blood slowly as he wriggled around in the incubator.

I think he may not have fully absorbed the yolk, and I put some blood-stop powder on it, just in case.

Been keeping him in the bator or holding him next to the brooder light to keep him warm and still be able to continually check on him.

Am I doing everything right?

Before the traces of blood started showing up, I put some iodine on his 'belly button.'

I've had one do this before, did the same things minus the blood-stop powder and neosporin instead of iodine, and he's still alive, going into his adult molt; but I'm still worried. I have issues with worrying. [​IMG]

Reassure me... [​IMG] 'Cause I'm scared for him.

Hatching gets me all worked up. [​IMG]

2. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    Here is the important thing to remember: You've done it before and the duckie survived. [​IMG] It's so scary when they are little and fragile.

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I think you are doing everything exactly right. Two out of three ducks I hatched last time had the umbilical cord still attached, and they were both just fine. [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

A bit of cord and a drop of blood is nothing to worry about. Even a few dribbles and stripes is not a worry as it will dry up in a few hours and fall off within the first few days. As long as you see no yolk, all is well.

5. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Sigh, I know, but I'm such a worrywart. [​IMG]

He's fine so far, still trying to fluff out in the bator I suppose.
    Thank you for all of the virtual hugs of support!

Sheesh, I'm a wimp. [​IMG]

6. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I would be worrying too! Little rascals making us worry like that. I hope everything will be okay.

7. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    I'm sure your little one will be fine. Nothing a little time won't take care of. Can't wait to see pics.

8. Duck Keeper

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    They're so awesome aren't they? [​IMG]

I love ducks. ♥

Seriously addictive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by