1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worried about baby chick :/

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickenNewbie32, Jan 10, 2017.

1. ChickenNewbie32

ChickenNewbie32 Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2016
    One of my baby chicks has a bump on its beak, and it got me worried. Is it deadly? Can i do something about it?

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Is the lump inside the beak as well?

It could be canker or the beginnings of fowl pox. If it is on the outside of the beak only, then you can try putting some Iodine on just the lump to see if that helps, otherwise you may need stronger medication. If you have a vet that can help you that would be best.

You may want to separate her, clean and sanitize her water container at least once a day. Provide her with some poultry vitamins and make sure she is eating well.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1080266/canker (Picture post#10 , treatment post #6, 10, 13)
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2015/07/fowl-pox-prevention-treatment.html

3. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    If it is on the inside aswell, is that bad?

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Another possibility is that it could be a papilloma, caused by a virus. They are usually flesh- colored small non-malignant growths. They can be common on top of the beak in chicks, and some may eventually fall off. I would look inside the beak as Wyorp Rock suggested, just to make sure that it is not canker infection. Those usually are yellowish-grey patches caused by a protozoan infection.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  5. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    So i have some maybe good news, the other day i saw that same exact chick chase a bee, can it be a bee/wasp sting?

6. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    Please help i am very worried.

7. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Did you check inside the beak as suggested?

8. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    Yes i did and it was just a little bump on the same exact spot as the one inside, it is like half the size of the outside one. It didnt look like a cranker.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry but I misspelled papilloma in my previous post. Papillomas are benign growths caused by viruses, and found in humans and animals, as well as in birds. Here is some info about it:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papilloma

Below are some pics of growths around beaks, possibly caused by paillomavirus

[​IMG]
    Photo by Want Less

[​IMG]
    photo by Korlia

[​IMG]
    photo by Granedianexpat

1 person likes this.
  10. ChickenNewbie32

May 28, 2016
    Doesn't look like it, i have an old bird cage that i am not using anymore which i will put the chick in (its mother has started laying again) and i will take into my home, hopefully she gets better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by