Worried about being away from the birds for a night!

chickenannie

Songster
12 Years
Nov 19, 2007
Pennsylvania
I've had a fox predator that ate 9 of my turkeys a few weeks ago and now I pen them up every single night at sundown (for the past month). I'm leaving for a weekend away and am freaking out that my nice neighbors (who are kindly helping out tonight) won't lock them up properly despite my showing them how. How neurotic I've become!!!

The pen is a bit complicated in that the tarp has to be well-secured so the fox can't get in.

As anyone who's had predators probably knows, it's hard on your psyche when your birds start to slowly disappear from nighttime predator attacks.

The birds are vulnerable in that IF a fox gets in their pen, he could likely kill the whole bunch, AND they're worth a lot to me now for this Thanksgiving holiday since I've invested so much in them. But I'm more concerned about my own neurosis about leaving them for even a single night. How crazy is that?! Clearly i'm addicted.

i went to florida for a week this spring and i was worried sickl the whole time .

you should just buy a shed or somthing that is secure that way you can put your worries to rest . As long as ur nieghbors have a head count and they are in there and locked up nothiing can get in !

INvest in a shed

my dog has killed 3 of my turkies. My goose has recently passed away from a broken jaw ( 7 turkies left) ( 3 geese left). We also have a fox problem. Recently my dog chased the fox out of the woods, we haven't seen it sence!!!

i agree with nautical_bouy. If i feel any of my pets are not safe or will need my help, i cancel any plans to leave home.

i tend to be a bit neurotic. i always get a bit anxious when leaving home for any extended period. So i use a safety check list in my head and go through everything until i feel secure that things are as safe as possible.

But you have true concerns there. You're not being neurotic or crazy, you have a legitimate fear. i guess your only two choices are to either stay home, or trust your neighbors will take care of your birds.

. . . and, a nice secure shed might do a lot to quell your fears in the future.
smile.png

I think you have to make the run and coop fox proof, to have piece of mind. I'm not sure a tarp will do it. I am in the process of doing this because next month I'm going camping for a few days.

Maybe I didn't make it clear that the cattle panel pen and tarp combination IS secure -- as long as the tarp is secured properly. (there is panelling under the tarp and wire flooring under the pen). We are putting on a double reinforcement on the wire next weekend just to make doubly sure.

I was more poking fun at myself for not being able to "let it go" for even one night.

thanks for all the extra concern though, I'll feel much better going away now...

You need to make sure the run and coop are fox proof. If you do not think your birds will be safe, do not go away. Are they pets or food birds? Either way, pet or money invested, they need protecting.

A fox tried to investigate the Keep of Eggtopia this evening and got a shock...there was no place for the little sucker to get in and only one way out of the vicinity....through me! He did not make it. If he is that nosey and trying that hard...he had to go.

Back
Top Bottom