Worried about breeding

Discussion in 'Geese' started by nanaluvsgps, Apr 5, 2012.

1. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    I would love to hatch some of the gesse eggs but am worried that if they are sold to the public they will be eaten. Does any one who breeds and sells geese in australia worry as well, or do people just use them as pets.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The eggs eaten or the geese eaten?

Yes, a lot of geese end up on the table for holiday dinner. The only way you can guarantee what happens to your birds is to keep them yourself for the bird's entire life.

Geese live a very long time. Even if a person gets them to be pets, things change, people move, get divorces, have house fires. Sometimes pets get moved to new homes. The only way to know for sure is to keep them yourself.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You can make stipulations saying that your birds are not for eating but sadly you can not guarantee that they will abide them once they leave your property.

4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Stipulations only limit who will respond and buy. No one wants to be told what to do with anything they are spending their money on.

5. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    Thank you, I think the better option would be not to let them have babies now :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by