1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worried about Broody Hen and chick heating questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TheCorgiGirl, Apr 26, 2016.

1. TheCorgiGirl

TheCorgiGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Weir, KS
    Hello! So this morning I took one of my hens, a speckled grey cochin, who has been very broody for almost a month now, and moved her to a new nest.
    I collected 12 fertile eggs and put them in a next box, along with some food and water, inside a pen that is partially covered with a tarp and half open.
    When I put her in there she started clucking t me all puffed up, and then walked around, eating and drinking.
    I checked on her about an hour later and she still wasn't sitting on the nest.
    This was 9:00 this morning. I am going to check on her again when I get home from class at 1:00 or so.
    Do you think she will sit on them eventually and is just frazzled, or do you think she may be uninterested now since I took her out of the coop?

Also, is it possible to brood chicks without a heating lamp? Is there any other sort of warmth source that I could use?

[​IMG]
    [ This is her, but a little younger. She is nearing a year old now! We call her Fuzzy Feet :) ]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by