Worried about broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Allymcc1999, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Allymcc1999

Allymcc1999 In the Brooder

Oct 7, 2018
    My hen has been sitting on two eggs for seven days. She won't move when I put my hand under her. Her poop is large and somewhat solid. Should I move her? Is it okay that she's not laying anymore eggs? Isnt she supposed to lay a clutch?

Newblet and staceyj like this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Where are you located in the world?
    Is she acting like a broody or sick hen?
    Are the eggs she's sitting on fertile and do you want to hatch them?

If the eggs are not fertile, then it would be best to break her.

As for laying a clutch...? Well, if she's broody she will sit regardless if she has eggs or not.

3. staceyj

staceyj Enabler

Jan 1, 2017
    Coastal NC
    My Coop
    Once a hen becomes broody she won’t lay any more eggs until after the chicks are weaned.
    The “clutch” comes first.

You should take her off for a couple of minutes once a day to make sure she eats, drinks, poops and dust bathe.
    Yes. They poop enormous, stinky poops when broody.

4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Yes. Definitely move her to deficate and eat...She won't lay more eggs.

sourland and Abriana like this.
  5. Allymcc1999

Oct 7, 2018
    Thank you for the help. I have moved her to her own area and I've made sure she gets up to eat, drink, and go to the bathroom. I am going to try candling the eggs to see if they are fertile. The only thing I'm confused about is, why did she only lay 2 eggs?

FlyingNunFarm, staceyj and Abriana like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What breed is she?
    Not all hens will lay a "clutch". Being broody is influenced by hormones, light and I'm sure quite a few other things if you research it.
    When a hen becomes broody she may sit on her own eggs, another hen's eggs, she may just sit, some will brood golf balls in a nest.....

Your girl is sitting on what she's sitting on, there's not really an answer there.

Do you have a rooster?

7. Allymcc1999

Oct 7, 2018
    She is an Amerucauna and yes we have a rooster

8. Turkey Girl

Turkey Girl In the Brooder

Feb 18, 2019
    Only let her sit until day 23 then you have to take her off or else she might die. Is there a rooster around?

9. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Huh? I don't understand this?

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have had a broody in the past that wouldn't get off of her eggs so I took her off the nest once a day for 10 to 20 minutes then she would eat, drink and poop. I had to block the nest off or she would try to get right back on it. When I did unblock the nest she was back on it in a flash. She wasn't happy about me taking her off. All of the eggs did hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: