Worried about Buffy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hollypop, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Hollypop

Hollypop New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Hi all,

I'm new to chicken keeping, and to this site. I'm really hoping somebody can give me some advice. We bought 2 lovely penciled Wyandotte bantams a few weeks ago, and 2 weeks ago, Buffy went broody. She refused to leave the nest box, and was extremely puffed up and angry, so we were pretty sure. After about a week of turfing her out into the garden and hoping she'd snap out of it, we decided to try a wire bottomed broody cage during the day. At night, she is allowed back in the coop with her friend, as it's starting to get chilly!

So, she's been in the broody cage for a 5-6 days and it doesn't seem to be making much difference. She does look miserable though! I took pity on her today and let her out to free range with her friend. She's still fussing a bit trying to get into the coop, but does seem to be enjoying a leg stretch and is distracted a bit by pecking around.

Thing is, today, I noticed her behaviour seems to have changed. She's still grumpy / shouty / puffed up, but her tail is drooping (this is something I actually noticed a few days ago, but seems worse today). Also, she's taken to picking up sticks / bits of garden stuff, and rubbing them on her back?! Her droppings also aren't as solid as usual, and she does seem to be passing a lot of small droppings... although that may just be my imagination.

Is it possible that she's not just broody, but also sick? She seems quite happy in the garden, and I wonder if it's just misery from being shut in the wire cage. I'm really worried about her :(

2. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    It could be that she is egg bound. I lost a hen to this recently, it's not fun. The sticks on the back is normal behavior for a hen that is laying, but I"m not sure if it's normal for a broody. If her tail is drooping, she isn't feeling well. Try to (carefully) see if you can feel an egg stuck up in there.

3. Hollypop

Hollypop New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Ah, that's what I'm afraid of. I've tried to examine her but she's so cross, if I try to get hold of her she just screams at me and runs away! I think I'll try to make a vet appointment, just to set my mind at rest.

4. Hollypop

Hollypop New Egg

Nov 7, 2014
    Thanks for the info about the stick rubbing, by the way! I've never seen either of our girls do it before, and instantly went into panic mode that it must be mites or lice or impending death!

5. ChickenPox

ChickenPox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Middle GA
    LOL, I've been worried about impending death numerous times, i think THAT is completely normal! Yes, the first time I saw mine do it I thought it was odd. Not all of my girls will, but some love to pick up shavings from the next box and put them all over thier backs when they lay. Just an instinctual thing I guess. My guess is that she is "backed up" and isn't feeling well and WANTS that egg to come out. I know the next time I suspect one of mine being bound I will take her in. Finding a baby dead in the box isn't fun. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by