Worried about Caesar the 12 wk BO!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texaschickmama, Sep 28, 2007.

1. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Caesar is our 12 wk old BO cockerel. He just kind of hangs back and stays out of everyone's way. I guess he will take the lead when he gets a little older. He is littler than his 13 pullets. Is this normal? The rest of them come up to me and get treats. He doesn't. Also, when I try to throw him a treat he just lets his girls have it. Maybe he is just being polite or a southern gentleman. I don't know. Any input? [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    My buff orp cockerels are always much larger than their female counterparts. I would check him over to make sure everything is ok. You'll want to look for parasites (lice/mites, etc), bruises, messy backside (sign of diarhea), feel crop to ensure food consumption, etc. How does his comb look..nice and red or dull? I would give him a little extra attention just to make sure nothing's going on with him. It could very well be that he is reaching his juvie stage and trying to figure things out from the background. And its not that unusual that he keeps distant from you, but he should be pretty perky at this age. Keep us posted if you notice anything else. I hope everything is ok.

Jody

3. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Well, his comb is dull. Definately not the bright red that you see. I just thougtht that it would get redder the older he got. Do I need to give him some extra vitamins or something? They are on the growing finisher food. The man we got him from only had pullets and we had to search to find Caesar. Luckily one little cockerel was in the mix. I really feel he should be bigger than he is if he is really 12 weeks (on Sunday). Is there any natural "vitamin booster" that I can give him to help him out and to grow into the big roo that I know he should be?

We just got them all last Sunday and I have been working with them. I have them up on my lap eating treats now. [​IMG]

Caesar always hangs back. In fact, I caught him sleeping standing up with 3 of his girls around him yesterday. I quietly and slowly started petting him and when he opened his eyes about 60 seconds later, he was like oh no you don't and took off. I do know that it will take patience and time and I've got all of that in the world. I just want him to be a friendly roo for my kids sake. I know I can't really control his personality but I want to ensure that I do everything that I can to get him a little "tame". Thanks for any advice.[​IMG]

4. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    SE Michigan
    With my last batch of chickens I had ordered a bunch of extra roos to "fill out" my order, 15 to be exact. Their personalities varied greatly. There was one named chicken little who was always smaller then the rest of the chickens (runt of the litter). I also had one boy named big boy who always was a loner, he'd often lay in a corner by himself. He also was very hesitant to come to the front for treats.

As for their combs, some would turn red quicker then others, big boys comb didn't start turning a brighter red until 16 weeks old, which is also the time he had found out he could crow.

Basically if he doesn't act sick or look sick he's probably ok, and just needs some time to grow up. Chickens are funny creatures and its amazing how much their personalities can differ.

5. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Thanks. I'm probably just over reacting. I'm very new to this. Thanks for the advice and I will just keep an eye on him or work with him everyday. [​IMG]

6. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    UPDATE Caesar is doing great. He is acting a lot better. I almost got him to eat out of my hand. If it was not for all the pushy pullets he lives with he would have. He is running around with the rest of them and actually standing his ground now. Yeah, Caesar. Guess he is figuring out that he will be the MAN. [​IMG]

7. texaschickmama

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Update on Caesar... He does eat out of my hand. I think he is in his "roadrunner stage" [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He is looking great. He is now supposed to be 18 wks old but I think he is more like 15 wks old.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  8. Matt Berry

Matt Berry Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2007
    SE Michigan
    Has caesar crowed yet? The reason I'm asking is from the picture caesar looks more like a hen to me, especially for the age. You might need to start expecting to see eggs from that one.

The reason I ask is I'm having a hard time seeing any roo feathering, and the overall stance looks like a hen too. I'm curious to know, thank you.

9. Midnight

Midnight New Egg

Aug 19, 2007
    GA
    I agree....he looks like a she!

10. cristina33

cristina33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    ma
    Your Ceaser looks like a girl to me ! Sorry
    Cristina

Last edited: Nov 16, 2007