Worried about chick shipment...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Here chickie chickie!, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Here chickie chickie!

Here chickie chickie! Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2010
    Just contacted our local p.o. to see what I'll need to do to get my chick shipment(hopefully tomorrow). They tell me they'll deliver them to the house but here's the problem. For the next five days, the temp. in CT. will exceed 100 degrees. I tried to get them to pin down the time they think they'll deliver them but to no avail. I did give them my cell phone # so I can make sure we're home for the delivery but I'm starting to fret over the chicks health during the time they're in transit. Am I worrying too much?[​IMG]

2. deborah

deborah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    Chelsea, MI
    We are expecting a shipment Thursday. It's our first time, so we are new at this. Our Post Office doesn't delivery live chicks; we have to pick them up there. They will give us a call when they come in. I've made sure they have both our land line and my cell phone. (They said it could be as early as 6AM). Will your Post Office give you that option?

3. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    i have gotten lots of chicks and full gron chickens in the mail. all the places that i get them have stopped shipping until october. to hot. you always have to pick them up at the post office. i sont think they ever deliver at the house because it is express mail.

4. nuts4chickens

nuts4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Kingston, GA
    If it makes you feel any better, I got a chick shipment in on 6/25/10 and the temp in Georgia was 95. They did absolutely fine. No losses, and they were in transit for almost 3 days. They are now 10 days old and still doing great.

5. hannalice

hannalice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    I'm worrying about the same thing. Expecting my chicks tomorrow or the next day, and the temps have been outrageous here in VT lately. Hoping everything goes off without a hitch and they make here fine![​IMG] The nice thing is, I live above where I work, so *someone* will be around to take the package!

6. UnttouchableRose

UnttouchableRose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Blountville, TN
    I had a shipment go out last Wednesday that has yet to arrive. (Obviously not a good thing) My post office has always been great about calling me but due to the heat here, and trying to find the shipment of missing chicks the post office that gets the chicks before my PO does has my cell and will be calling me when they arrive at their PO instead of mine, it's about a 20 min drive for me but it would mean about 12-16 hours before I got my chicks otherwise and I figure it's just best I go and get them especially in the heat, I have 75 coming and don't want to LOOSE this shipment!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Is there a way for you to pick them up on the morning of their arrival? Most chick shipments arrive in the early morning hours before it gets too hot outside. I would be more worried about the mail carrier having them in the hot car for most of the day without any water.

8. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Quote:i have done that.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    OOh god.. bad timing for shipment. UGh....
    You'll just have to hope for the best... [​IMG]
    Good luck!

10. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I feel so sorry for you! I hope the babies make it to you without any losses. [​IMG] Hang in there. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by