worried about chickens with swollen comb & pasty bottom~help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by terri1nd, Jan 23, 2011.

1. terri1nd

terri1nd Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2008
    I have a couple of Partridge Chantecler hens now (I'd say definitely 2, if not 3 hens), not looking so good. Swollen combs & pasty bottoms. I see some swelling around the eye as well on the one I brought in the house to get photos of her & try to wash her bottom. I thought you might have an idea of what needs to be done. Not so sure I'm going to continue to keep the chickens if they require alot of $$ for medical on top of what it costs me now, since I don't have $$. I'm hoping & praying that I can get this under control, fairly easy.
    It has been extremely cold here in North Dakota & it has gotten as low as -4*F inside the coop at least one day, but I do not think it is frostbite (that would not account for the pasty bottom). The feet show no sign of mites.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  2. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry I don't know, just bumping your post.

3. terri1nd

May 4, 2008
    I gave her a bath in the house. I put 1/4 c. borax laundry detergent booster in the warm sink of water along with some Martex iodine shampoo (antibacterial shampoo (has a horse on the front)), and added a small amt of that to shampoo her, then drained the sink & added fresh warm water after rinsing her, and then I shampooed her with cat flea shampoo (in case it was mites bothering her). Rinsed her well & dried her with the hair dryer (took pics of her, since this is the first time I've given a chicken a bath). I was looking for any signs of what is causing her problems & saw no sign of bugs. There was a small sore on her tail end on the side of her vent looked like she pecked herself trying to get the pasty stuff off her. I have blue kote I sprayed her with. She has a liquidy stool right now. I had her in a cage while I was trying to decide what to do & she had left a few stool samples & those were not liquidy. I am keeping her in the house until tomorrow at least, & I'm thinking of giving her a dusting of DE before I take her out to the coop.

I know it is hard to tell her comb is swollen, (compared to other chicken breeds), but Chanteclers usually don't have much of a comb at all.

I really don't know what I'm doing and can really use the advice of the more experienced here.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    what are their ages? and do you see any discharge from the nose or eyes? Chickens are very cold tolerant. Glad to hear you found no bugs. this could be a sinus infection but I really don't know, this will give you a bump and maybe someone else can give you some advise...[​IMG]

5. terri1nd

May 4, 2008
    Quote:they are 39 weeks now. I've not seen any discharge, but I've not handled each one to get a real close look at each of them. I have a total of 24 birds & they all keep on the move, especially when I'm in the coop.

Would the mites & any other bug, be easy enough to see with the naked eye?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by