Worried About Chickens!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Donut Chickie, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Donut Chickie

Donut Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Texas
    [​IMG]Hello! I have 3 hens right now an Easter Egger, New Jersery Giant, and a White Crested Black Polish. My easter egger hen is 4 years old and her eggs are bumpy like have small bumps all over them and are rough, I was wondering if there is a medical condition or some way to stop her from having eggs like that. Also my Polish eggs are very smooth but at the small end at the top its all wrinkly its hard but has wrinkles. My New Jersery is doing just fine so I was wondering if there is a problem with the other to and if there is a way to stop the eggs from being so different.[​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It's just the way their assembly line is working. The EE may be showing her age, but many hens routinely lay bumpy eggs or eggs with a little curley Q at the small end. Don't think that they really have a problem.

3. Donut Chickie

Donut Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2012
    Texas
    Im sorrry but this may seem like a stupid question what exactly is the EE? also so they dont need more or less calcium in their diet?

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I'm sorry the EE is the Easter egger. If you are providing a balanced layer ration they are probably getting enough calcium.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by