Worried about chicks getting hurt

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Soot the silkie, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I am afraid of my young chicks getting hurt. One of my chicks I was holding and I put her back in the box and when I opened my hand to let her hop off she jumped up onto the side of the cardboard brooder and tumbled a foot and a half to the floor. I'm afraid she got hurt falling from that height because their little bones are so tiny. Another one of my chicks jumped out of the box and landed in some rags but I'm scared he got hurt too. I put chicken wire on the top of the brooder but can you reassure me or frighten me about whether my chicks are seriously hurt? They walk around just fine. I had the tiniest silkie last year that had the same problem of trying to escape me and she fell two feet onto concrete but was fine so I don't know if my new chicks are going to be fine. I hope this doesn't make you think I mistreat my chicks. I just trust them too much not to jump from high places. I literally am almost in tears when they fall and feel really bad for them [​IMG]

2. RedBreasted

RedBreasted Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2014
    Idaho
    Why don't you like put a bandage on like not the one that is sticky. Like something or a towel to wrap the place where is the wounds are.

3. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    It doesn't have any wounds, but I'm afraid it might be bruised or fractured something.

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    I am quite sure your chickies are fine. They are very resilient and since they are birds, jumping up or down a foot or two is no big deal. Just make sure your handful of chick is farther into the brooder before you let it go. [​IMG]

5. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    They are jumpy little buggers sometimes. I would just watch them and make sure they are eating, drinking, and pooping. They are tougher than we think sometimes. I am hopeful they will be ok for you.

6. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I watch 'em like crazy to make sure they eat, drink, and poop. They've been good so far.

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Good luck with them.

8. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    If they're walking around normally they should be fine. Sometimes they're quick and fall before you know it! If you have them more than a foot or two from the floor, just be sure to cup them with both hands when you hold them so they can't fall.

9. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Thank you!

10. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I always do that. But they still manage to slip out of my hands anyway!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by