Worried about Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mzsassypants, Dec 29, 2012.

1. mzsassypants

mzsassypants New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    We are new pet duck owners. My DH rescued a pekin at a local park early this last fall. Poor thing was a mess, all wrapped in fishing line and infected from cuts/bites and who knows what else. Well we nursed him back to health and he is enjoying a new life in my garden and koi pond. We have not had a problem for the last 4 months getting him into his "duck house" at all every night after dark. All we would do is call him and he would waddle in. The last two days, he will NOT get out of the pond-we have about 4 inches of hard snow all around and on the rocks surrounding the pond-his normal path out is clear, bit may be a bit slippery. There is really no where else for him to get out of the water to dry off or warm up. Koi food wouldn't even coax him (this is unusual). I am worried he is going to freeze to death or get sick. He is an older larger pekin and LOVES feeding time. I am worried he is going to get sick or freeze to death. Am I worrying to much or should I let him figure it out and call the shots?

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Well, I am an overprotective duck mom, so I would get some help and shoo him down the path and out of the pond and into a clean, warm, dry shelter.

Might it be that the pond is warm enough, and he hates walking on the cold ice and snow? I put sawdust, straw or wood shavings on the ducks' paths here, to make it easier on their feet and reduce the risk of bumblefoot.

There is another thought, if he's got any kind of sprain, bruise or bumblefoot perhaps walking is painful.

3. mzsassypants

mzsassypants New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    Thanks for the reply..the buger swims to the middle every time I go out with food,,lol,,I swear he knows what I am trying to do and he is having no part of it. It's supposed to start snowing here soon (Connecticut),,,and I'm going to give him some time and then go back and try again. This will be attempt 12 since last night [​IMG]...

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Don't they just try one's patience, sometimes? That's why I thought you might try to get a few folks to help out. One idea is to hand the ends of a rope that's longer than the pond is wide to a couple of friends and have them very slowly drag the rope across the top of the pond, guiding him toward the path you made for him.

We may not be far from you, by the way. When it is supposed to start? e.t.a. Nevermind. First flakes are falling now.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
  5. mzsassypants

mzsassypants New Egg

Dec 29, 2012
    [​IMG]Mr. Duck has decided to come out on his own....grrrrr...after I worried all night long..lol...so I went out picked him up and put him in his duck house-so I can make some adjustments to my garden and he can warm up and eat...he doesnt like the hard snow of course he was sliding around...hopefully it will melt off soon enough...and i can rest easy, Im going to create a pen so he has room to play and exercise.

6. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by