worried about egg binding

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aldarita, Nov 24, 2012.

1. aldarita

aldarita Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    OK so I am a newbie, just got my girls last April, they are all laying now and I am so very happy and grateful for it. Yesterday I noticed that one of my barred rocks was acting weird, she layed on the ground when everybody else was free ranging. I free range them for few hours every day under my supervision (lots of hawks in my area). After I put them back in their run, she still layed on the ground, I picked her up and checked her but did not find anything unusual so I put her back down. Later on I checked again and she was in the coop in a nesting box. Checked again later and she was out with the others being her normal happy self.
    When she was acting strange I worried about her being egg binded so I almost panic because it is complicated and dangerous to help them.from what I have read. I am glad it all solved itself but it makes me wonder if she was trying to lay a big egg and was having trouble with it (she did lay a big egg after all). Does anybody know if this type of behavior is common in young layers and if it happens often???
    By the way I want to thank all of you for answering my previous questions about other issues with my girls, you all have been very helpful and it gives me a piece of mind getting more knowledge to make a more comfortable life for my hens.

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    In young layers it's common. She laid the egg so thats really good. You cant really tell if it will happen again. Every chicken is different.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    How long has she been laying? I remember when my pullets started laying some started by laying small eggs and some normal size eggs and then they laid a few huge double yolkers, some with blood on it, which worried me quite a bit. After a while they settled into laying normal eggs, apart from a really big one or a "fart" egg now and then. It seems they need to work out the kinks in their system and practice a bit when they start. Nothing to worry about!

4. aldarita

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    Thank you for your answers, I feel a lot better now knowing that it is a normal behavior and that they are all adapting to their life as layers. So far it has been wonderful and I hope it stays that way.

5. aldarita

Aug 2, 2012
    Brenham TX
    She started laying towards the end of September so she is new in this business. Hopefully she will adapt and work out the "kinks". Thanks for your answer

6. krackowpolish

krackowpolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    fallbrook
    well if one of your hens do get egg bound hears some tips to help them: soak there bum in hot (not too hot) water, make sure they stay nice and warm, put them in a wire floored cage boil some water and put the cage on top of the pot (or take a shower with them but you dont need to get them wet, its for getting them relaxed), you can also put lub jellie in there vent. hope this helps sometime!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by