worried about eggs under broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Myst4, May 23, 2008.

1. Myst4

Myst4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    today is day 21....I have been checking all day on my broody to see if any of eggs have hatched...nothing. She once got up to get a drink(extremely brief) and I had a good look at the eggs( well as good as I could, and without touching)...didn't see any pips. Starting to get worried about them if they are all dead. Would a broody continue to sit on eggs even if the chicks inside were dead? I'm a wreck with worry.

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    They could be behind because they're under a hen, not in a bator. Give them a few more days. I think she'd know if they were duds.

Good luck!

3. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Quote:Thanks....I will wait,as hard as it is.

4. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Are they bantams or standards? I thought standards were 23 days, although i could be wrong.

5. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Give her time. I hear that a really cold day can set the hatch back a day.

6. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

7. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Hang in there, I am on day 23 under a broody. Waiting is the hardest, isn't it? I keep feeling under her to "see" if there are any pips. Not yet.

Ellie

8. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

My broody got up and I seen that she ate one of her eggs! :mad: She has got to be the worst mama hen! [​IMG] I am wondering if the eggs are even still alive! [​IMG] I swear some days I think I need some help. Like a 12 step program to stop obsessing over my chickens! [​IMG]

9. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    I'm waiting.....impatiently. I try to just put it out of my mind and consentrate on my 28 eggs in my bator,due to hatch on Tues.27th. That would be something if the broodys eggs hatch the same day as my eggs in the bator. [​IMG]
    Thanks for the advice and encouargement....I'm hanging(in there) but hanging on what? I haven't a clue [​IMG]

10. Myst4

Apr 1, 2008
    N.S., Canada
    Harley's girl :

My broody got up and I seen that she ate one of her eggs! :mad: She has got to be the worst mama hen! [​IMG] I am wondering if the eggs are even still alive! [​IMG] I swear some days I think I need some help. Like a 12 step program to stop obsessing over my chickens! [​IMG]

Maybe she ate one of her eggs because the chick had died or there was something wrong with it. good luck with your hatch.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by