Worried about foxes

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckfancier, Jul 24, 2014.

1. duckfancier

duckfancier Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    We haven't even got egg and soldier yet but I'm worried about fox attacks, we live in a semi urban area (think suburban town) in the UK, the duck house is very secure but the run I'm building is literally to keep the ducks in and the dogs out and it's going to be 6x2.5m so plenty big but no roof. Are fox attacks common during the day? I know they happen but is it normal? Help :-( xxx

2. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Hi,
    I don't know if it is "normal", but I have read on here about daytime attacks. If you're worried about that happening, it might be best to get a cover just for some peace of mind. I think anything that gives a predator pause is a good thing.

3. duckfancier

Jul 23, 2014
    Would a chicken wire cover do any good ?

4. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Chicken wire? The simple answer to that is NO. Chicken wire is like butter to predators such as fox, raccoon, weasel, etc. They tear right through it. Here's a page with some good info on foxes:

http://www.raising-chickens.org/chicken-predators.html
    [​IMG]
    Scroll down the page for the section on foxes...hope this helps some!

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    By "cover" are you referring to what to use as the roof of the run? If so, what is wire will you be using for the sides of the run?

6. N F C

N F C phooey! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Your link provided excellent information. Thank you iwiw60 for sharing it!

1 person likes this.
  7. duckfancier

Jul 23, 2014
    Galvanised chicken wired double layer, what can I reinforce it with? The pressure is on! The ducks are coming tonight, we have the house ready and were going to keep it in the garage until we finish the run tomorrow. I'm about all week long so I will guard them until we can reinforce the run enough. Thanks for the advice! I so need it! Thank you xxx

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by