Worried about hatch

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Hubiesbirdies, Apr 14, 2018.

1. Hubiesbirdies

Hubiesbirdies Hatching

Apr 14, 2018
    This is the first time I have incubated duck eggs. Yesterday was day 28 and they all started pipping. However it has been 24 hours and they have not started to “zip”, so I am starting to get nervous.

When I put my ear up to the incubator I can hear little peeps and I can see and hear the duckies attempting to chip away at the shell, but don’t seem to be making much progress. The temperature has been pretty constant (98-99). I don’t have a wet bulb thermometer which I realize is rookie move, however I have kept the water reserve in the bottom of the incubator full and the the little windows have fogged up.

Is this kind of slow hatching process normal or should I be worried???

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That's pretty normal, ducks are slow hatchers :) I wouldn't worry until it's been about 36 hours since they pipped and you're not seeing progress. Sometimes they take even longer, maybe even up to 48 hours.

It also sounds like your temperature is a little low, which is probably also contributing to the slightly late hatch.

3. Hubiesbirdies

Hubiesbirdies Hatching

Apr 14, 2018
    Thank you! I had one hatch last night night which is very exciting and it also looks like the others have started to “zip’’! Hopefully we will have a few more pop out soon

Miss Lydia likes this.
  4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia John 3:16

Congrats!!! and :welcome

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: