Worried about heat lamp

D Ellis

Hatching
8 Years
May 26, 2011
I am getting my first ever baby chicks hopefully on tuesday. I want to get the brooder ready this weekend. But I have read so many horror stories about heat lamps.Just wondering if there is a safer alternative heat source. I should mention that the brooder will be set up in a spare bedroom.and temps are not very cold here. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Hello!

There's one product I know of, and here's a link to it:

http://www.brinsea.com/prod-EcoGlow_Chick_Brooder-239.aspx

I think they're pretty expensive. With the heat lamps, just make sure you have them securely anchored, and you'll be fine. I like to suspend mine from above, rather than using the clips. Most brood lamps have those criss cross gards over them so that if they would fall, the bulb won't actually hit the floor of your brooder where the shavings are.

You can use zip ties to secure your brooder lamp so that it won't move. When you leave the room, as long as you've got it rigged securely so that it doesn't move when you jiggle it, you'll be just fine.

Good luck with your chicks!
Sharon

A regular 100 watt bulb will do just fine for 10 to 15 chicks. I've done both red and white bulbs. Had two occurances with red heat bulb, yes, it is dangerous but have to be extra vigil about it. So I switched to 100 or better watt regular bulb and did just fine.

Hubby thought of this device, the Acurite temp that you can tell what it is outside and inside. So I put it in the brooder wall, read the temps and it will let me know when the bulb is out or too hot. It was a lifesaver, because yesterday early morning, the temps went down to 56 degrees in the brooder and my gauge pad showed it when I got up. I went out there in a hot flash, found the chicks all sleeping, warm when I fixed the brooder light...it was loose from the porcelain screw so I tightened the bulb tightly and worked again. Later in the day, it got pretty warm, that I moved the panel from the top to cool it down a bit, with more vent coming in and the chicks are comfy as they could be.

I am very glad for this Acurite temp gauge. I could not do it without or otherwise, either I would have cold dead chicks or the shed being on fire.

http://www.bing.com/shopping/acu-ri...lpp=3&lppc=16&lpq=Acurite+temperature&FORM=EN

Last edited:
So you guys think since the brooder will be indoors, I could use like a regular incandecsent 100 watt, I should mention i am only getting 5 chicks.

Do they have red incandescent bulbs,or should I just maybe go with a lower watt red heat lamp.250 watt seems so hot,especially since they will be indoors.

Today is the second day here for the chicks and I had everything set up in the coop for the chicks. It was in the sixty's yesterday and everything was fine but last night a cold front came through and the temperature dropped to 50 in the coop. I dropped the light down closer to the chicks but they were huddling too much. So I brought them to the house and set up a box with them under the same light. The light is a 250 watt clear floodlight/heat lamp. It really doesn't put out much heat at 15 inches from the floor. Might go to a red heat lamp if I take them back to the coop.

I used an old heating pad wrapped in a towel turned on low/medium heat at first. Seemed to work fine indoors. I did get a heat lamp and use it during the day but the chicks wake up in the night and start making noise. We all sleep better with the heating pad at night. I only have 6 so the area I am heating doesn't have to be very large.

Last edited:
You can get red heat bulbs at any pet store that carries reptile supplies. They come in 75, 100, & 125 watt. I used a 100 watt for the chicks first brooder because I would have cooked them with a 250 watt standard. My chicks are in a heated room attached to our barn. I worry that the heat pad might get too hot for chicks the heat should be above them. Do not use a red flood bulb or a shatterproof red bulb. The chemicals they emit will kill your chicks. I used the reflective lamp with the clamp. I clamped it, tied it, and put a guard on the top of the brooder to protect from fire. Fire in my barn is my biggest worry. We have alarms tied to the house and also a monitor with video and sound in our bedroom also to be alerted if anything sounds or looks troubling. Of course the chicks grown crazy fast and were only in this brooder for the first week.

Back
Top Bottom