Worried about Hen

nes

Songster
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
Outside Ottawa
How quiet are broody hens supposed to be? I haven't seen Jenny get off her eggs since the first day we brought her home. She's also only laid one, is it possible that's the only one she'll lay?

At the beginning she was quite defensive over her egg, but seems quite happy to let me pet her and pick her up in her nest now.

I'm new too this, so I'm worried I'm actually missing signs that's she's sick. She seems to be spending a lot of time on the egg asleep.
(We did get her at auction).

Normal or no?

Dead as a door-nail by the time I got home from the feed store today.
Oh well
hmm.png

Thanks, but I wasn't very attached to her yet.

She looked very healthy but I know chickens don't always give much away.
I would think it's possible she was egg-bound if she was going broody & only produced 1 egg in 3 days.

Or since we just got her from the auction on Saturday it could have been something she already had.
We also don't know where she came from so it could have been the change in scenery.

I don't know.

So far all the other chickies seem just fine. There weren't really any outward signs that she was sick except that she was quite subdued yesterday (well she was supposedly being broody) and this morning her comb was very pale. It sort of just looks like she keeled over in her nest box and that was it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom