Worried about hen

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Chery0557, Aug 2, 2011.

1. Chery0557

Chery0557 New Egg

Apr 26, 2011
    My hen is sitting, chicks are due 8/7/11
    I noticed this morning that her comb & waddle are pale.

Could she be sick?

She has food and water, so that she does not have to get off the eggs to eat or drink.

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    I would make her get off ... even if only for a few minuets. She'll probably shoot right back to the nest but at least she'll get her blood moving.

3. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

When I see that my hens are sitting way to long. I pick them up (give them luv) and walk a distance with them and then give them there favorite treat (mealworms) and it seems to make them walk around and stretch there leggs before they go back to the nest! Good luck!:[​IMG]

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    The hen is supposed to get off the nest at least once a day to eat, drink and exercise. Ordinarily they do not eat and drink while sitting; they are in a bit of a trance. Occasionally, a broody will not get up and can actually die while sitting on eggs. They can develop joint problems from sitting still all that time if they do eat and drink enough to stay alive. Actually, I would suggest you move the food and water out of reach. They are also more prone to developing lice and mite infestation and this can make the comb pale if bad enough. A permethrin/pyrethrin spray or dust will be safe for mama and for chicks.

I take my broodies off the nest and make them move around at least twice a day. I don't think they lose as much weight while brooding, and this way I don't have to wrry whether I have one that won't get up. That few minutes won't hurt the eggs, and they go right back.

Another possibility on the pale comb is that she needs worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by