1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Worried about hens - left outside in single digits overnight.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by liljunie, Jan 4, 2014.

1. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    I have two separate pen coops and runs. All of my chickens are acting stressed out by the 6-8 inches of snow that fell Thursday into Friday. I shoveled their pens so they could walk around and put a thick layer of hay so they are not standing in the snow. When I went to put them in last night, all of my LF were not in the coop (I picked up each one and put them in). This is unusual, sometimes I have a straggler but never all of them. My silkies appeared to be all tucked in so I shut the door of the coop.. This morning I found 3 of the light colored silkies under the coop (it was dark when I closed up) they always go in the coop themselves. I picked them up and they felt cold (they had frost on them). I put them in the coop with the others to warm up.

I don't understand this behavior! Am I more freaked out about the single digit temps than they are??

2. 7&8

7&8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Maine
    I think we need to think for the chickens sometimes...especially Silkies. Watch their feet for frostbite...pop any blisters and apply antibiotic cream...hope they're alright! :)

3. liljunie

liljunie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2013
    Thanks! I love my silkies but not the brightest flock!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by