Worried about incubation disastor.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GD91, Aug 5, 2013.

1. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    Hi everyone. Here's the story:

I was right in the middle of incubating 4 bantam eggs when a breeder got in touch with me over an order I'd made about 3 weeks ago. I'd got in touch previously by email 2 weeks before & not recieved a reply so assuming I had lost my money i ordered more eggs from somewhere else. Next thing she phoned & told me there was a mixup & my eggs had been dispatched that morning!

2 Days later the eggs arrive. I let them sit & put them in the bator.

The problem came when the older rocking eggs had to go in lockdown & with one incubator I had to make the decision to put the older eggs first (I now have 3 chicks thanks to that decision) & locked down the incubator with ALL the eggs in there. So those four eggs didn't get turned for 5 days & because the lockdown & hatch was taking so long I removed them & put them into a bodged homemade incubator which kept having drastic temp fluctuations for about 48 hours.

To cut a long story shorter when I last candled them after the others hatched the eggs were completely dark inside, but there was no sigh of any veins or movement.
    Have I messed up that hatch? I think I have.

I'm not too upset, just glad the others made it into the world because I chose to lockdown.

Thanks

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Well, if you can't see veins, your eggs are probably, and unfortunately, dead. [​IMG] Don't lose hope for them yet, though. You might just not be seeing veins.

3. GD91

GD91 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    UK
    They have slightly darker shells than the last lot [​IMG] But it shouldn't matter, its my 3rd time candling a clutch & I know what i'm looking for, I just don't see it. [​IMG] They aren't THAT dark.

I opened the incubator & one of the eggs stinks, plus the whole incubator smells.

I don't know if its the smell left over from the hatch (I did wipe out the base etc) or the incubating eggs getting the smell from the incubator. Something stinks though [​IMG]

I don't know whether to just chuck them to be honest, somethings telling me they have had it & I would be better giving the incubator a decent clean & reordering more hatching eggs.

[​IMG]
    P.S my chicks are doing really well & have imprinted on me. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by