Worried about late hatchers

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by phillip0104, Jun 22, 2017.

1. phillip0104

phillip0104 In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2017
    I am incubating eggs and today is day 21. I haven't heard anything, seen any pipping, and there has not been any movement outside the eggs. I candelled one just to make sure and it appears it's moving and it's beak is in the air cell. I'm worried it can't get out but I'm unsure wether or not I should help. Any advice?

2. lastco

lastco Songster

Apr 4, 2017
    NC
    Internal pips are good! Did you count the day you set them as day 0 or day 1?

3. phillip0104

Apr 15, 2017
    I counted 24 hours after I put them in the incubator. I also had to let them set for 24 because they were shipped.

4. lastco

lastco Songster

Apr 4, 2017
    NC
    Great! If some have internal pips they're probably just fine and running a little late. I'm hands on when absolutely necessary, but I don't assist anything that hasn't pipped. I have had some pretty big eggs that took 12-24 hours longer than standard size eggs. No harm in giving them more time.

5. phillip0104

Apr 15, 2017
    OK so I guess my best best will be to give it another day and hope for the best. I'll make sure to reply if there's no change

6. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    They can take up to 23 days, depending on egg size.

7. lastco

lastco Songster

Apr 4, 2017
    NC
    What are you hatching?

I'm always anxious for eggs to hatch, especially after lockdown. It doesn't matter how many time you do it, it'll make you crazy. You can quadruple check your temps too, if things don't progress. Definitely let us know how it goes!

getaclue likes this.
  8. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I know exactly what you mean! I have to keep myself distracted, sit on my hands, etc. Even then, I still check a LOT! It's an anxious time. :barnie

lastco likes this.
  9. phillip0104

Apr 15, 2017
    They are blue laced Wyandotte's which is why this is killing me lol. I already have 8 hens and 2 roosters. I'm a first time hatcher though and I'm worried for obvious reasons and I know I'm also impatient. The eggs are all average sized except one which is a little large. I know for some reason the humidity keep's dropping rapidly which it was not doing until today. I keep having to add water every couple of hours. I'd if that has anything to do with it.

10. lastco

lastco Songster

Apr 4, 2017
    NC
    Seems like you've done excellent research. Didn't expect you were at this for the first time.

Are you using additional thermometers and hygrometers? If your incubator has the digital variety, pretend it doesn't. They are soooo bad! I've got one that thinks any humidity over 65% is 99%. The temp is also off by about 2 degrees. Another one is also off by about 2 degrees in the opposite direction. Ugh.

I feel your pain though. I've picked up 2 batches of Bielefelder eggs from a local breeder this year. The fertility rate was quite low, so the eggs that did develop were the equivalent of gold bars in my (chicken obsessed) mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: