Worried about mother hen

Lisa L

Songster
May 6, 2020
Walkertown, NC
Bantam cochin calico hen had chick three weeks ago and still won't leave coop and rarely nestbox. Chick seems healthy, but why won't mom leave her box? She isn't sitting on any eggs. She will occasionally come out of coop, but not for long. She seems demented. She chases after another hens two week old chick and I'm sure she'll try to kill it. She has kicked three of her own and one of another hens. They were all yellow chicks, not black and yellow like the two survivors. She was my sweetest hen before she went broody. Help!

Bantam cochin calico hen had chick three weeks ago and still won't leave coop and rarely nestbox. Chick seems healthy, but why won't mom leave her box? She isn't sitting on any eggs. She will occasionally come out of coop, but not for long. She seems demented. She chases after another hens two week old chick and I'm sure she'll try to kill it. She has kicked three of her own and one of another hens. They were all yellow chicks, not black and yellow like the two survivors. She was my sweetest hen before she went broody. Help!
*Killed....not kicked.

I’m not sure about this situation, usually my broodies are begging to go outside. Was there an early hatching?? Are these her eggs or store bought chicks?? It’s not a good idea to let her be with other hens chicks.

She's a first time mom with her own eggs. I've had issues with her from the beginning and had hoped she would settle in nicely, but that has not happened.

She's a first time mom with her own eggs. I've had issues with her from the beginning and had hoped she would settle in nicely, but that has not happened.
If she has killed the chicks, I would take them away. Some broody hens are just there to sit on the eggs and don’t want to be a momma. Maybe you should take them away for a day and see if she’s okay.

If it were my hen, she wouldn't be trusted with any chicks after killing the first one. Scoop those babies up and care for them yourself because she sounds like she has broody psychosis!

Back
Top Bottom