worried about my 24 week EE

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flnursebiz, Nov 7, 2010.

1. flnursebiz

flnursebiz Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2010
    orlando
    Polly laid her first egg Thursday sometime between 6 and 7 pm, we found it when we went to close the coop door. She acted fine the last 2 days but has not laid again until we found one under the roost this morning. We let them out to free range after church and she was slow moving and un-interested in the BOSS I gave them. My daughter let her sit in her lap for abut 30 min and she was content to just sit. She looks alert and healthy but seems depressed. She is now in the coop sleeping on the roost and making chirping like sounds quietly. Is this something to worry about or just normal when they first start to lay?

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    It sounds pretty normal for a pullet that has just started laying, but it's worth keeping an extra close eye on things whenever they start acting mopey. It's possibly that she's a bit egg bound or is working on passing a soft shelled egg, most likely it's just new layer confusion though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by