Worried about my Ameracauna

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by emmak, May 26, 2010.

1. emmak

emmak Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    My beautiful white Ameracauna is about 5 months old. She seems healthy, but she keeps her beak open most of the time. I've read that this may indicate worms. Should I be worried, and if so, what should I do about it?[​IMG]

2. chickenlover16

chickenlover16 Hatching

May 26, 2010
    She sounds in distress. Check to be sure she is hydrated.

3. emmak

emmak Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    Thanks for your response. She has plenty of access to water.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Chickens do pant to cool themselves....except their tongue doesn't hang out like a dog's does.

5. emmak

emmak Songster

Apr 29, 2010
    North Central Texas
    Quote:So she may just be panting? That's kind of what it looks like. I was just worried because I read that they keep their mouths open if they have worms.

6. chickmeister

chickmeister In the Brooder

Apr 3, 2010
    SW Michigan
    A few days ago we had a major heat wave out of nowhere. I had slept in the first day and when I went out to open up the coop it was warmer than usual and all my chicks had their beaks open. Once the door was open and the fan was going it cooled down and they went back to normal and closed their beaks. They had fresh water so they weren't dehydrated, just panting.
    Of course I don't know if the open beak could be caused by something else since this was the first time I encountered it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: