Worried about my bitties!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrazyChicken96, Mar 2, 2017.

1. CrazyChicken96

CrazyChicken96 New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    South Carolina
    Hey friends I'm totally new to the chicken life lol!!! I've got 5 new Rhode Island red bitties I incubated myself they are about 2 weeks old now and two of them seem to have "bent beaks" it's just the bottom and I'm worried I'm doing something wrong this just happened about 3 days ago the first one and today the second one! Do you guys know anything on this?
    Thank you in advance [​IMG]

2. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Welcome To BYC!

First of all did they hatch like this? As it may be a embryo defect, or have you accidentally dropped anything on it? Have you seen it being bullied as that may be the problem.

Thanks

3. CrazyChicken96

CrazyChicken96 New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    South Carolina
    Thank you!

They were not like this at hatch they have been safely kept in a brooder and I'm positive they haven't been dropped or bumped around! How ever they may be being bullied by the others [​IMG] Have you ever seen this happen?

4. tastyacres

tastyacres Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2017
    never stops learning!
    I have had 3 chicks with this issue just not has bad. It went away on all 3 of mine as they got older. Does this chick have trouble eating or drinking? 1 of the 3 of mine I had to give it water and food by the dropper for 4-weeks (I grew really attached to my chick that went thru this:).

5. WillGriffin03

WillGriffin03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Macedon Ranges
    Yes I have and it normally carries through to adulthood. It does affect how they eat and drink in some cases but they just have to eat liquid stuff eg. porridge, yogurt etc. In most cases of beak deformities it's a genetic or fault in the chicks growth.

Thanks

6. CrazyChicken96

CrazyChicken96 New Egg

Mar 2, 2017
    South Carolina
    Thank you guys! I lost both of my little chicks :( I think with their beaks being so bent they weren't getting the water and nutrition they needed!! Is it possible that this could come from inbreeding? We got the hens and the rooster from the same person but I'm not 100% sure they weren't related can chicken inbreed ?

7. tastyacres

tastyacres Overrun With Chickens

Feb 23, 2017
    never stops learning!
    I was headed for breeding healthy birds when i had chickens so i never inbred any of my birds! Birth defects can come out in any type of inbred animal so very possible.

Sorry you lost the little guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by